Cheesus' 55 gallon build

jmann124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get screen window kits at your local hardware store that work great for tops. I agree with the glass issues. I've never used them, but it makes sense that they would hold in heat.

OP
OP
T

thegrilledcheesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about evaporation though? I'm away from the house during the school year from six to ten at night, and I usually still have homework.

jmann124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about evaporation though? I'm away from the house during the school year from six to ten at night, and I usually still have homework.

My son has a 50 gallon with a 20 gallon sump and he evaporates less than a gallon day. You can get yourself an automatic top off and take care of the problem or you can top it off every day in the morning and you would probably be fine.

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son has a 50 gallon with a 20 gallon sump and he evaporates less than a gallon day. You can get yourself an automatic top off and take care of the problem or you can top it off every day in the morning and you would probably be fine.

Agreed! We can help you make the tops. Someone in the club has the special tool to apply the rubber "gasket" that holds the screen to the frame. I would order some 1/4" plastic mesh from BRS and get the framing from a local hardware store. Your tank will be a little tricky to do because it's not square but I think we could figure it out!

OP
OP
T

thegrilledcheesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! We can help you make the tops. Someone in the club has the special tool to apply the rubber "gasket" that holds the screen to the frame. I would order some 1/4" plastic mesh from BRS and get the framing from a local hardware store. Your tank will be a little tricky to do because it's not square but I think we could figure it out!
yeah that seems awesome, also I want to add to my stock list a mandarin, I figure with a scrubber, and a seperate fuge I could get the pod population I need.

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good plan. Make sure the fuge is thriving before adding the mandarin. Several people in the club have mandarins, be sure to check with them first. I have no experience with them but have read a ton that they can be picky eaters...

OP
OP
T

thegrilledcheesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here are my prelim plans for the scrubber/fuge
image.jpg

OP
OP
T

thegrilledcheesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mike why is there plexi glass blocking the light? I've been on algaescrubber.net and I think I can do it,although I may need some of the group's help.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acrylic blocks the lights from splashing water. If you look you can see water droplets on front facing piece thats there to block water from splashing on my door and ultimately the sump or floor

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thegrilledcheesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acrylic blocks the lights from splashing water. If you look you can see water droplets on front facing piece thats there to block water from splashing on my door and ultimately the sump or floor
can I get away with using PC lighting for the scrubber?

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The PC bulbs will cost more to replace as opposed to a CFL bulb from Walmart. I have a clip on reflector like Mike and myself use I can give to you if you want.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea you really want intesnse lighting like from high watt cfl 23w or t5 or red/blue 3w leds. i use the 26w bulbs walmart sells. I think they are GE brand about $2/bulb replaced every 3 months

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your idea for two tanks for the fuge/scrubber is a good plan. Instead of your siphon tube thingy you should consider getting each tank drilled and put a bulkhead in there to connect the two tanks. Either way you do it, make sure you clean the drain often so the first tank doesn't overflow if the drain gets clogged.

OP
OP
T

thegrilledcheesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your idea for two tanks for the fuge/scrubber is a good plan. Instead of your siphon tube thingy you should consider getting each tank drilled and put a bulkhead in there to connect the two tanks. Either way you do it, make sure you clean the drain often so the first tank doesn't overflow if the drain gets clogged.

I am so scared of drilling a tank :sad:

djr7879

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a known problem with BRS rock?, and will it be persistent?

I used 100% BRS rock to set up my 125g. It did leach out some phosphate initially, but once it settled in, I've had no problems with that. IMO, the initial spike in phosphates is worth the tradeoff in completely eliminating potential hitchhikers.

...nice sand, BTW!:clap2:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back