Chemi-pure Blue Alternative Carbon?

borrowedthemoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey coral friends,

My aquarium is a reef tank with fish that I have been using chemi-pure blue on for roughly 6 months, along with phosguard.

I am looking for the best alternative to chemi-pure blue; one that I can fill my own filter media bags with. All price points are welcomed.

Thanks for the help!

**I know what chemi-pure elite is, but just am looking for the carbon alternative**

Last edited:
OP
OP
borrowedthemoon

borrowedthemoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I understand the question.
There are lots of different size media bags available and many different carbon products.

FWIW, I use this ROX carbon:

Rox 0.8 Carbon

...in these media bags and just keep re-using the bags with new zip ties:

Boyd Media Bags
I rephrased the question. I see where it could have been misleading. I have been doing some research and I see a lot of people recommending ROX carbon. Thanks for your input.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue can essentially be made with rox carbon + purigen. I would just get quality carbon. Rox carbon should be in a reactor imo but you can use rox, seachem matrix carbon, red sea reef spec carbon, or others.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the cheap and reliable marineland carbon. I've used all types though. I mean it's carbon so to me as long as it's not too dusty I'm fine with whatever is cost effective. I can't see paying a premium for "super carbon" or whatever it is to just throw it out every 2 weeks.

OP
OP
borrowedthemoon

borrowedthemoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue can essentially be made with rox carbon + purigen. I would just get quality carbon. Rox carbon should be in a reactor imo but you can use rox, seachem matrix carbon, red sea reef spec carbon, or others.
Thanks for the input. As I do not have a reactor, am I better off with one of the other two you recommended, or is there no difference to ROX?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. As I do not have a reactor, am I better off with one of the other two you recommended, or is there no difference to ROX?

I find red sea to be the least dusty. The seachome one is ncie as they are shaped in round balls so the are less likely to clogg up and hypothetically should work better in a bag to let water flow through. ROX is considered the best but I think I gave a fish HLLE from multiple instances of it appearing when I used rox and disappearing when switching back to red sea carbon. However, one of those instances it wasn't washed before it went in and another some of it grinded up by accident in the reactor.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back