Chemi Pure Help!

Venzzla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal when you pull out Chemi Pure to have brown at the bottom on it? I see no date on the container. I did rinse it really well before adding it to my canister filter. Also, if I am running activated carbon already is this just some high dollar activated carbon? Or is it better?

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal when you pull out Chemi Pure to have brown at the bottom on it? I see no date on the container. I did rinse it really well before adding it to my canister filter. Also, if I am running activated carbon already is this just some high dollar activated carbon? Or is it better?

The regular C.P./C.P.E. & C.P.B. is now sent pre-rinsed, instead of dry as they did a couple of years ago. It does still need to be rinsed.

Did you purchase regular or another such as the Elite or Blue to answer your question?

Still just high dollar carbon.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brown residue is normal. I’ve used the Elite in the beginning, but now I use ROX 8 from BRS, but only when necessary. I only use carbon when there’s some issues.

OP
OP
Venzzla

Venzzla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The regular C.P./C.P.E. & C.P.B. is now sent pre-rinsed, instead of dry as they did a couple of years ago. It does still need to be rinsed.

Did you purchase regular or another such as the Elite or Blue to answer your question?

Still just high dollar carbon.
I purchased regular Chemi Pure.

OP
OP
Venzzla

Venzzla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about getting some Blue, but if regular activated carbon is the same maybe I'm just wasting money.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about getting some Blue, but if regular activated carbon is the same maybe I'm just wasting money.
Yep, I think it’s a waste, and that’s why I switched. I used a piece of pantyhose to make a bag, and it works great. When I change the ROX, I always only replace 75%.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Honestly if you're gonna do that it would be better to purchase the Chemi-Pure Elite for the Ferric Oxide benefit (even though IMHO there isn't much ferric oxide in it) and purchase a small bag which treats 100g (depending on your tank size you might want to buy more) of Purigen. C.P.E. has no ferric oxide but does contain high-grade ion-exchange resins which are similar to Purigen.

It would be a bit more cost effective splitting the two...C.P.E. & Purigen

Last edited:
OP
OP
Venzzla

Venzzla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly if you're gonna do that it would be better to purchase the Chemi-Pure Elite for the Ferric Oxide benefit (even though IMHO there isn't much ferric oxide in it) and purchase a small bag which treats 100g (depending on your tank size you might want to buy more) of Purigen. C.P.E. has no ferric oxide but does contain high-grade ion-exchange resins which are similar to Purigen.

It would be a bit more cost effective spitting the two...C.P.E. & Purigen
Just a 40 gallon breeder here.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased regular Chemi Pure.
That's fine, next time try the Elite versus the regular with just a slight difference in price. It is good, just costs more than bulk in the long run.

You will find it works best to add RODI fresh in the container it is sent in, cap and shake it and repeat until the water is not dark.

When adding from the container do not pull on the bag (it can tear easily) simply shake the container upside down and it will work its way out with no tearing of the bag. ;)

OP
OP
Venzzla

Venzzla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fine, next time try the Elite versus the regular with just a slight difference in price. It is good, just costs more than bulk in the long run.

You will find it works best to add RODI fresh in the container it is sent in, cap and shake it and repeat until the water is not dark.

When adding from the container do not pull on the bag (it can tear easily) simply shake the container upside down and it will work its way out with no tearing of the bag. ;)
Thanks yeah I'm not 100% sure I didn't tear the other one slightly :(

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a 40 gallon breeder here.

40B's are a great tank. You won't need much of that. The Purigen is in a small bag and treats up to 100g and using it would be great and the Chemi Pure you purchased is the 10-ounce size which will treat ~50 gallons which would also be good.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 157 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back