Chemical compounds and reefing: Do you need to understand the chemistry stuff to have a successful reef tank?

Do you need to understand the chemistry stuff to have a successful reef tank?

• Yes, you need to understand the chemistry to be a successful reefer.

Votes: 65 26.4%
  • It may not be required, but it sure helps.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • I don’t understand the chemistry, I just follow the numbers.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank was started in the mid nineties, I had it running for sixteen years by just watching and if things looked off I just increased water changes. I could get away with it as it was mostly softies with a few lps. I learned early that wouldn’t work as well with a pro dominant lps with a couple sps tank. Chemistry has been more important to me.
Helpfu
Totally agree, especially since Randy @Randy Holmes-Farley
Is on here to provide real answers and advice when our own recollection of chemical reactions is a bit FeO2.

Of course it is better to have a working knowledge of what is happening to help keep the growing reef alive and thriving and maintaining chemical balance rather than having to rely on the experts, but since they are here we can search for the answers that they have already provided and generally figure out what is needed.

Anyone dosing PeptoBismol since Thanksgiving?
pepto bismol 80s GIF
Yep! Lol. I prefer the pepto tablets over the liquid though lol.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helpfu

Yep! Lol. I prefer the pepto tablets over the liquid though lol.
I grew up as a child with a bottle of formula in one hand and a bottle of Pepto Pink in the other. I grew to like the taste of the pink chalky liquid and I still do.

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you need to know enough to write a scientific paper, but you should at least know what the major compounds do and what they do to your tank.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally do not think that any chemistry knowledge is necessary. I do feel that some understanding of biology is helpful however, like the nitrification cycle and how anaerobic organisms work in denitrification. Also helpful to me is marine plant biology but I really do not know anything about chemistry and my tank is doing ok.
IMG_20231115_115303749.jpg
What's that tiny fish being chased by the cleaner wrasse?

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope... That's why there's test kits. If I knew all the chemistry it wouldn't be a hobby and I better be earning a paycheck at that point..lol

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally do not think that any chemistry knowledge is necessary. I do feel that some understanding of biology is helpful however, like the nitrification cycle and how anaerobic organisms work in denitrification. Also helpful to me is marine plant biology but I really do not know anything about chemistry and my tank is doing ok.
IMG_20231115_115303749.jpg
Same, I take the biological/ecological approach rather than the chemist approach lol

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's that tiny fish being chased by the cleaner wrasse?
He's not being chased, it only looks that way in the pic. That is "the Lone Ranger", one of my 2 masked gobies!

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you really need to know anything beyond the targeted parameters for your specific corals and how to maintain them. The why behind those parameters? It's interesting information for sure, and I've learned a lot over the years. But does it matter, to me anyway? Nope. As long as you can get the required, broadly accepted parameters from the hobby experts, that's all you really need to be successful. Copy paste what other successful reefers are doing and chances are, you'll have success too!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back