Chemiclean and bacteria bloom that eats all my nutrients

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about 2.75 years old. Last week I used chemiclean for the 2nd time. The first time I noticed a bacteria bloom in my sump that was a handful of bacterial goo every couple of days. This I assume was eating my NO3 and PO4 and several of my corals bleached but I thought the bloom might be coincidental. Now I'm having the same problem with bacterial goo again in my sump. I saw a chalice is starting to bleach and the only thing I can currently think of is to feed feed feed to try to cut off the bleaching again.

When I search this I didn't find others who had the same experience. I can post pics of the goo I'll pull out tonight. Any suggestions on how to slow the bloom?

Bored_shrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have something like chemiclean, it says you may need to increase oxygen on the bottle I have. The corals may be bleaching because the bacteria is using up all the oxygen in the water and is out competing the corals for it. I would say just increase oxygenation to help the corals, i don't know much about corals and I've only been in the saltwater part of the hobby for about a year so get someone else to chime in their opinion. Maybe a water change or somehow remove as much of the bacteria as you can might help. I'm not sure though, this is my best guess, but definitely have someone else answer too and voice what they think. They'd probably give a better answer than me. Feel free to correct me too if you know something I said was way wrong, the more I learn the more experience I gain and the more people I can help later.

OP
OP
R

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I pulled this much out 2 days ago and now tonight I have this much again. Its just on the surface of the water in the sump.
20200831_172655.jpg

OP
OP
R

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't dose carbon but from what I've read your skimmer pulls out that bacteria. My skimmer isn't pulling out any of this. It's a simplicity 120.

Bored_shrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really know much beyond this, like I said I'm kinda new and still figuring out what to do myself I would just keep removing it since it's not really normal. I don't actually have a skimmer on any of my tanks, cause mainly, they are too expensive for me and my tanks do fine without one. I mean though, if your reef was doing better without that sludge then just keep removing I guess and maybe there's something else in the water, maybe try a water change, that's what you have to do almost 99% of the time in fresh water if somethings wrong so in salt water I figure it'd probably help too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 104 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back