BACTERIA BLOOM???

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Zoas, Xenia, acan, palys, and a trumpet.
It’s not likely with a tank as young as yours to have enough calcium demand yet to warrant dosing 3 part. Water changes should suffice this early on. Are you testing for calcium and alkalinity?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
usually I use premixed water for water changes, top offs with distilled. I used API phosphate kit. I’m also a high school student and keep my light off and shades closed. My school has a marine lab and the window shades aren’t usually closed, yet the nano tanks there are crystal clear. I did do a large cleaning in the tank after I lost a few sexy shrimp and shook up the sand quite a bit. I think that may have been the original source because this never happened until last week.
If the marine lab has a microscope you van use, take a look at the water and see what the heck is growing in it.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been experiencing a wild bacteria bloom in my 3.4 nano. I’ve done 25% water changes and all. Even did a 75% the other day and it just gets worse.. phosphate is 0.1 ammonia: 0 nitrite: 0 nitrate:5 I’ve cut down extremely on food to almost starving my CUC and fish. I’ve kept my pump pointed at surface for oxygen exchange so fish don’t suffocate. Someone got ideas for a fix? I’ve black out the tank for over a week, no food, wtfff
Please don't starve your tank inhabitants. As another suggested, have you tried a UV sterilizer? They are very good at getting blooms under control.

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

I’d shelf the three part for a while. If you can’t test for it, probably not best to add it.

Just about anything we add pollutes clean water.

OP
OP
Z

zach_jb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

I’d shelf the three part for a while. If you can’t test for it, probably not best to add it.

Just about anything we add pollutes clean water.
I mean, I can test for it. I’ve got Ca tests and the whole saltwater API test kits. I’ve tested weekly and all is well.. except this dang bloom.

OP
OP
Z

zach_jb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not likely with a tank as young as yours to have enough calcium demand yet to warrant dosing 3 part. Water changes should suffice this early on. Are you testing for calcium and alkalinity?
Yes, Calcium was 400 and alk was 8, pH was 8.6, a little worried abt pH swing but worst case, a dose of Sodium carbonate wouldn’t hurt

OP
OP
Z

zach_jb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't starve your tank inhabitants. As another suggested, have you tried a UV sterilizer? They are very good at getting blooms under control.
Not literally starving them haha, just directly feed my blue damsel and that’s it. CUC scavenges whenever they feel and I don’t watch to make sure my watchman goby eats because he’s been doing fine

OP
OP
Z

zach_jb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the marine lab has a microscope you van use, take a look at the water and see what the heck is growing in it.
This is smart, I have one of my own I just don’t know if it’s powerful enough, regardless I have made a huge water change and it looks 100x better.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Welcome.gif

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not literally starving them haha, just directly feed my blue damsel and that’s it. CUC scavenges whenever they feel and I don’t watch to make sure my watchman goby eats because he’s been doing fine
Yeah, I didn't think that was literal, but holding way back on feeding is not a great answer either. You will get it figured out. You are in the right place with this forum, for sure.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back