Chemiclean does not kill Alcaligenes faecalis.

AdamG280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that was a bummer. I’m now daily cleaning out my filter. I guess the next step is Dr. Tim’s Waste away. At this point, I feel like dumping bleach in and starting over. The chemiclean did however remove some green algae.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for info purposes, could we get a picture of what the growth was that you tried to eliminate with Chemi-clean?

OP
OP
AdamG280

AdamG280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for info purposes, could we get a picture of what the growth was that you tried to eliminate with Chemi-clean?
It’s so hard to see it’s so cloudy. It’s basically white slime. Started as strands. Now it develops in clumps. Not green or red. It grows incredibly rapidly and clogs everything. I have to wash out my filter daily. The UV sterilization helps a tiny bit, but I think the consistency of it is why it doesn’t work completely.
IMG_5697.jpeg
IMG_5707.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you carbon dosing or have an air freshener near by? If there are fish in there I'd get a cheap UV ASAP.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is just an antibiotic - a form of erythromycin. It won't kill any real algae or dinoflagellates. It is not even a good antibiotic for aquariums since - the Blue Vet Cyano Rx is Tylosin which is target to leave nitrifiers and other types of beneficial bacteria alone.

OP
OP
AdamG280

AdamG280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you carbon dosing or have an air freshener near by? If there are fish in there I'd get a cheap UV ASAP.
I have stuck my hand in several times when I probably had cologne on. Also I think the neighboring apartment is venting their dryer In the wrong place (I’m in a condo) and it consistently smells like fabric softener.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have stuck my hand in several times when I probably had cologne on. Also I think the neighboring apartment is venting their dryer In the wrong place (I’m in a condo) and it consistently smells like fabric softener.
I'd run quality carbon, get a UV, and possibly an air filter that has carbon in it. Never put your hands in the tank without thoroughly rinsing them.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that was a bummer. I’m now daily cleaning out my filter. I guess the next step is Dr. Tim’s Waste away. At this point, I feel like dumping bleach in and starting over. The chemiclean did however remove some green algae.

What makes you think you have a problem with Alcaligenes faecalis?

FWIW, that bacterium is known to have many antibiotic resistant strains.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures, the color, the smell, and the speed at which it grows.

Ok, maybe you know a lot more on how to identify bacteria that way, but I would never try to identify bacteria species based on those criteria.

OP
OP
AdamG280

AdamG280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, maybe you know a lot more on how to identify bacteria that way, but I would never try to identify bacteria species based on those criteria.
No I know nothing. Just going through all the possibilities. This is my first reef tank. It’s all trial and error so far.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back