Coral Selection Help

nallured

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for coral suggestions as I may have been a bit overzealous with the height of this aquascape… My goal is for an LPS dominant reef, but with the one rock being so close to the surface (2.5-3”), it seems encrusting corals will be the only option there. I do plan to upgrade the light/lid at some point, but no timeline.

Tank is a Fluval 13.5, was started with a few bottled bacs, including TurboStart, Dr. Tim’s, and MicroBacter, and has been running for about 9 months. Current inhabitants are 1 tail-spot blenny and various clean up crew (including pods introduced about a month ago and are visible).

Been battling a green algae issue also (hence the CUC), but recently installed an auto-water-change system for 1/2 gallon daily to stabilize nutrient export, and am eliminating the auto-feeder completely for now. Filtration is just filter floss and bio-media. I’m aware that the natural light in the room is contributing, but moving the tank is not an option…

My thought on next move is to introduce a Rainford’s goby (supposed algae eater), coralline in bottles, along with some hardy LPS corals to compete with the algae for space and nutrients, but the more I read the more indecisive I get on where to start with coral regarding placement for light requirements/coral aggression, etc. A primary goal is that I do NOT want to have to deal with invasive species (GSP, fast-growing Zoas, etc.), particularly since there is no sand bed to stop them from spreading.

Anyone willing to push me on making a leap into an initial coral order?
IMG_2692.jpeg
IMG_2693.jpeg
IMG_2694.jpeg

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would chose a specific euphylia, whichever you like best, and make a "garden" on the small rock. Given the space constraints and the flowing nature of the popular LPS, choosing corals that can be right next to each other without killing each other is going to be a good idea.

I think an encruster on the top is a good pick, I know very little about encrusting LPS, but some kind of nice encrusting monti would be nice. . . or an acro but be ready to trim it haha.

OP
OP
N

nallured

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would chose a specific euphylia, whichever you like best, and make a "garden" on the small rock. Given the space constraints and the flowing nature of the popular LPS, choosing corals that can be right next to each other without killing each other is going to be a good idea.

I think an encruster on the top is a good pick, I know very little about encrusting LPS, but some kind of nice encrusting monti would be nice. . . or an acro but be ready to trim it haha.
Awesome suggestions - thank you!

Can a few different color morphs of encrusting Montis be placed on the top rock? What happens when they grow together and touch?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back