What kind of algae is this? It’s killing everything :(

liamelias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is 11 months old. Started with dry rock and dr tim’s. Added real live rock about 2 months ago to help with biodiversity. I have gone through the uglies, but this algae won’t go away. It covers everything. I can easily blow it off the rocks with a turkey baster but comes right back. Assumed it was cyano so I treated with (Red Slime Stain Remover) but didn’t seem to do anything.
I have not registered nitrates in over 6 months. There are currently no fish in the tank, just my sad looking corals. The algae killed 2 zoa colonies. I’m at the depths of despair lol. Any help would be appreciated.
DKH 9
Nitrates 0
Phos 0.02
Cal 420
Mag 1350

IMG_3163.jpeg IMG_3174.jpeg IMG_3176.jpeg IMG_3178.jpeg IMG_3175.jpeg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like cyanno or dinos, the zero no3 would explain both, try doing a tank blackout. Cover the glass and turn the lights off for 2-3 days. That will kill it but your corals should be fine

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dinos

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dinos are present all the time, it's just that other beneficial bacteria outcompete it. When nutrients bottom out the good bacteria dwindle and the dinos can rapidly multiply and take over. the link above is a huge thread but it helped me.

Blackouts are a bandaid. you need to stop water changes for the time being and slowly boost NO3 via feeding or supplement. Check out the thread!

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get a cheap microscope too. to get a better plan of attack you'll need to know what strain of dino.

UV helps with prorocentrum and osteoporosis dinos but the amphidinium don't go water born so UV doesn't help much with those.

prepare for a battle!!!!!

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is most likely dino, if you have a microscope, you can look at them underneath the scope to get a ID on they type, a uv sterilizer will also help, helped me greatly, as did a blackout. While a blackout will not kill them all, it reduced my population by 90%, in which that time you can dose some beneficial bacteria to take back control.

mwil79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely dinos. I just went through this recently and was successful with a 3-4 day blackout and raising nutrients. I am now also running a UV sterilizer on one tank.

OP
OP
liamelias

liamelias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely dinos. I just went through this recently and was successful with a 3-4 day blackout and raising nutrients. I am now also running a UV sterilizer on one tank.
Thank you. I’m scared of a blackout since my last one killed two corals but it’s also hard to raise nutrients when they are all absorbed by the algae

OP
OP
liamelias

liamelias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dinos are present all the time, it's just that other beneficial bacteria outcompete it. When nutrients bottom out the good bacteria dwindle and the dinos can rapidly multiply and take over. the link above is a huge thread but it helped me.

Blackouts are a bandaid. you need to stop water changes for the time being and slowly boost NO3 via feeding or supplement. Check out the thread!
Thank you. I have stopped water changes for a month now and increased feeding. Doesn’t seem to do much but I will keep waiting

OP
OP
liamelias

liamelias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is most likely dino, if you have a microscope, you can look at them underneath the scope to get a ID on they type, a uv sterilizer will also help, helped me greatly, as did a blackout. While a blackout will not kill them all, it reduced my population by 90%, in which that time you can dose some beneficial bacteria to take back control.
I will try dosing more bacteria and get a microscope to look at it better

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Raise nutrient levels, add pods, dose microbacter 7, run only Blues and siphon out as much as possible. It may help you win the battle.

mwil79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you. I’m scared of a blackout since my last one killed two corals but it’s also hard to raise nutrients when they are all absorbed by the algae

I blacked out a full mixed reef tank for 5 days with no ill effects to the coral. I also just blacked out a tank filled with bubble tips and no effect other than them going for a walk. A few days won't be a big deal considering there are storms that stall over waters in the ocean which pretty much blacks out the sun for extended periods.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop WC's

Get the microscope and put some goo between slides. use your cell phone w/ steady hand on the lens and snap some shots. Then post the pictures in the thread i linked for i.d.

Manual removal (as much as you can via turkey baster or small powerhead with micron bag)

Get some copepods and phyto (algaebarn or ebay has combos) Note dose pods with all pumps off for at least 20 minutes so they can settle and use the phyto to keep them fed so they can populate.

make sure you have registerable NO3 and PO4

good luck. I've beaten it 3 times over the last 4 years. each of my bouts came while on vacation and not feeding enough so nutrients bottomed out. Never again! I HOPE LOL!

OP
OP
liamelias

liamelias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop WC's

Get the microscope and put some goo between slides. use your cell phone w/ steady hand on the lens and snap some shots. Then post the pictures in the thread i linked for i.d.

Manual removal (as much as you can via turkey baster or small powerhead with micron bag)

Get some copepods and phyto (algaebarn or ebay has combos) Note dose pods with all pumps off for at least 20 minutes so they can settle and use the phyto to keep them fed so they can populate.

make sure you have registerable NO3 and PO4

good luck. I've beaten it 3 times over the last 4 years. each of my bouts came while on vacation and not feeding enough so nutrients bottomed out. Never again! I HOPE LOL!
Thanks so much for this detailed explanation! I will definitely try the pods and phyto. Your experience gives me hope hahaha

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can PU a microscope for pretty cheap. make sure it's backlit though and at least 100 x magnification. i have this one:

then you'll see the little buggers moving all around :

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back