Chemistry / dosing mystery

Klatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Over the last few months Ive been watching my dosing requirements of two part get further and further away from each other. I have a trident that controls my dosing of brs two part calcium and alkalinity. The tank is 100G and the trident keeps my Calcium at 440, Alkalinity at 9dkh. In order to keep those levels stable, my neptune is dosing 56ml of Calcium daily and 36 ml of alkalinity. From everything Ive read two part should be dosed close to equally. I do have a second DOS doing a daily water change of 1.4 gallons. The salt I use is tropic marin Pro, which has alk of 7, calcium of 440. But that should make my alk dosing higher than cal to replace/catch up the alk of the water change water from 7 to 9, i believe.

I also keep my mag at 1350, which requires approx 31 ml daily to maintain, which also seems a tad high to me. This issue has spanned several calibrations of the trident when reagents are replaced. The tank is 6 years old. Ph swings from 8 to 8.2, although i have not calibrated that sensor in a few months.

Im not seeing any signs of precipitation, but understand that may be where all that calcium is going. Should this be something i look into further to get to bottom of or should i just be content that the levels are stable?

Thank you!

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the salinity in your tank and in the fresh saltwater for water change?
Also for Mag, what are you dosing with ?
the way to double check whether dosage is proper is to stop dosing for a couple of days and measure the drop of ca,alk and mag. Then you will know exactly what your daily dosage should be.

OP
OP
Klatt

Klatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is 1.026 for tank and fresh saltwater. I use the mag mix from brs 2 part, which is part mag chloride, part mag sulfate.

I'll try the stop dosing for a day to see how far it drops.

Thanks

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back