Chemistry problem

Cfink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, New to the site, been Reefing since 2011.
1 question.
Has anyone ever had a problem with there call/ Alk depleting at such a fast rate that you have to add 40-50ml per day??
Tank is 230g and all soft corals.
Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I don't have soft corals only, I mainly have a mixed reef with the majority of the tank being SPS, so 40-50ml a day is normal for me, on a 120 gal tank. I guess it could be possible for softies to use that much, I just can't give you a good answer. I wonder if it's being locked up somewhere else, maybe your sand bed, if you have sand, or something, maybe precipitation. @Randy Holmes-Farley , any ideas?

What are you running your Alk, Cal, and Mag at? This will help others help you. Also your PH.

OP
OP
Cfink

Cfink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I don't have soft corals only, I mainly have a mixed reef with the majority of the tank being SPS, so 40-50ml a day is normal for me, on a 120 gal tank. I guess it could be possible for softies to use that much, I just can't give you a good answer. I wonder if it's being locked up somewhere else, maybe your sand bed, if you have sand, or something, maybe precipitation. @Randy Holmes-Farley , any ideas?

What are you running your Alk, Cal, and Mag at? This will help others help you. Also your PH.
Yea I have sand, Ph is 8.1, I try to keep my cal around 420 PPM, Alk is 140 PPM and mag is 1520. I Had a major algie out break (green hair) about 8 months ago, ever since then I use about 2 ltrs a week of cal and alk

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening and #WelcometoR2R

I think a picture of the tank may also help. Have you noticed an increase over time? How long have you been dosing this and what test are you using?

just a few quick questions if I may.

OP
OP
Cfink

Cfink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening and #WelcometoR2R

I think a picture of the tank may also help. Have you noticed an increase over time? How long have you been dosing this and what test are you using?

just a few quick questions if I may.
Not over time. When I had the out break i had Kessel 360w I thought it was the lights and height settings so I went trough 3 different manufacturers of lights now I'm running eco tech radions, I've was using vibrant for a while and stopped after I found out that it wipes out Alk and cal as fast as you can add it, that was about 5 months ago. I use Aqua Forest products. I've tried changing salts, using no pox, 20% water changes weekly for about a month.

Attachments

• PXL_20201202_003620680.jpg
    PXL_20201202_003620680.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20201202_003546239.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201202_003546239.MP.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 18

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I have sand, Ph is 8.1, I try to keep my cal around 420 PPM, Alk is 140 PPM and mag is 1520. I Had a major algie out break (green hair) about 8 months ago, ever since then I use about 2 ltrs a week of cal and alk
K, the reason I mentioned sand is because the sand can turn into concrete due to precipitation. It has happened to me. Algae doesn't consume Alk and Cal that I know of, so you should be good there. I have never heard that Vibrant consumes Alk and Cal, and I have used it, actually just stopped using it myself. I apologize for my ignorance, but what does 140 ppm translate to in DKH?

@Randy Holmes-Farley

OP
OP
Cfink

Cfink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K, the reason I mentioned sand is because the sand can turn into concrete due to precipitation. It has happened to me. Algae doesn't consume Alk and Cal that I know of, so you should be good there. I have never heard that Vibrant consumes Alk and Cal, and I have used it, actually just stopped using it myself. I apologize for my ignorance, but what does 140 ppm translate to in DKH?

@Randy Holmes-Farley
I believe it's 8 or 9 DKH

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, New to the site, been Reefing since 2011.
1 question.
Has anyone ever had a problem with there call/ Alk depleting at such a fast rate that you have to add 40-50ml per day??
Tank is 230g and all soft corals.
Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Does not sound like too much to me, but it obviously depends on the product used. lol

A soft coral tank can consume 2 dKH per day, due to corallline algae, the many organisms that use alkalinity aside from hard corals, and abiotic precipitation.

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a newly cycled tank and completed my first water change over a week ago. I tested my parameters today and noticed my PH level rose from 8 to 8.2 to 8.5 in a span of 5 days. I use the Hanna PH 2 ph tester (red one that cost about $40). All other levels are good (except alkalinity that is high). However, I only have 2 clowns in the tank right now with live rock. I am no where close to being ready/experienced for corals.

My question: Should I be concerned my PH level is rising this fast within 5 days? Is 8.5 bad? Is there anything I can do to lower the PH level or prevent it from possibly rising to more dangerous levels? Also, I have not changed any filter media (I have a Fluval Flex 32.5) that came with Carbon in the top container and BioMax in the bottom container. I did replace the media foam with Intank Media baskets this morning as I heard the baskets were an upgrade from the Styrofoam. Please advise!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a newly cycled tank and completed my first water change over a week ago. I tested my parameters today and noticed my PH level rose from 8 to 8.2 to 8.5 in a span of 5 days. I use the Hanna PH 2 ph tester (red one that cost about $40). All other levels are good (except alkalinity that is high). However, I only have 2 clowns in the tank right now with live rock. I am no where close to being ready/experienced for corals.

My question: Should I be concerned my PH level is rising this fast within 5 days? Is 8.5 bad? Is there anything I can do to lower the PH level or prevent it from possibly rising to more dangerous levels? Also, I have not changed any filter media (I have a Fluval Flex 32.5) that came with Carbon in the top container and BioMax in the bottom container. I did replace the media foam with Intank Media baskets this morning as I heard the baskets were an upgrade from the Styrofoam. Please advise!

Answered in your other thread.

Back