Chiller advice for 32 biocube

KrisSanders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently realized I will need a chiller in the summer months so I’m starting my research now. I believe I want to go with the JBJ Artica 1/15 for my 32 Biocube. I am curious how this will work with the lid and also with my back chambers limited on space for the pump. Also, what pump will be best?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that should work out fine for this sized tank depending on the required pull-down temperature requirements. Now, as I am unfamiliar with the tank you wish to put it on, and AIO tanks are always a challenge, Some ingenuity, and DIY work may be needed. SIze the pump based on the flow rates recommended by the chiller manufacturer and the head height it will have to push.

OP
OP
KrisSanders

KrisSanders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that should work out fine for this sized tank depending on the required pull-down temperature requirements. Now, as I am unfamiliar with the tank you wish to put it on, and AIO tanks are always a challenge, Some ingenuity, and DIY work may be needed. SIze the pump based on the flow rates recommended by the chiller manufacturer and the head height it will have to push.
Thank you. Yes, I feel like it will be a challenge!

Galliente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that some small fans or opening the feeder door, prop the hood up a little can do the trick to cool the tank. But I assume it depends where you are located and normal temp in your house.

OP
OP
KrisSanders

KrisSanders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that some small fans or opening the feeder door, prop the hood up a little can do the trick to cool the tank. But I assume it depends where you are located and normal temp in your house.
Thanks! We have cut extra vents in the hood per recommendation when installing Steve’s LEDs. I am concerned about it getting hot in the house (which occurs at times). I hate to buy expensive equipment but it is, I guess, the same as being prepared with a generator in case of an ice storm. We had that happen here in KY with our last tank about 12 yrs ago.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had a biocubeI was able to avoid a chiller by fabricating a front "door" out of eggcrate, and a back "lid" out of eggcrate that had 2 42mm PC fans blowing across the water surface.

You would be surprised how much just a couple small fans will pull down the temps.

Galliente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! We have cut extra vents in the hood per recommendation when installing Steve’s LEDs. I am concerned about it getting hot in the house (which occurs at times). I hate to buy expensive equipment but it is, I guess, the same as being prepared with a generator in case of an ice storm. We had that happen here in KY with our last tank about 12 yrs ago.
I got you. Yea my temp swings 1.5ish each way rn with Steve's. But in summer it may be a prob for me too here in So Cal. I have an inkbird so looking into a small fan I can velcro to the back. Saw on another thread someone did that. I think i can get away with a 10$ fan. At least i hope i can.

OP
OP
KrisSanders

KrisSanders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had a biocubeI was able to avoid a chiller by fabricating a front "door" out of eggcrate, and a back "lid" out of eggcrate that had 2 42mm PC fans blowing across the water surface.

You would be surprised how much just a couple small fans will pull down the temps.
Interesting!

OP
OP
KrisSanders

KrisSanders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got you. Yea my temp swings 1.5ish each way rn with Steve's. But in summer it may be a prob for me too here in So Cal. I have an inkbird so looking into a small fan I can velcro to the back. Saw on another thread someone did that. I think i can get away with a 10$ fan. At least i hope i can.
My temperature swing is the same. I saw that about a fan and thought about it. I just got my Inkbird today.

Teamredfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s quite a drop and certainly a cheaper option! Thanks!
It’s an adjustable fan as well. So that’s when I run it on full power, I bought it off Amazon for like 22 bucks and just use Velcro on the wall behind it. My evaporation was crazy though as expected.

ms.red

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently realized I will need a chiller in the summer months so I’m starting my research now. I believe I want to go with the JBJ Artica 1/15 for my 32 Biocube. I am curious how this will work with the lid and also with my back chambers limited on space for the pump. Also, what pump will be best?
I'm looking into the same chiller the JBJ Artica 1/15 and was wondering if that ended up working for you? Hopefully this message gets to you since this was last year. If it didn't work what did you end up doing?

ms.red

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did the fan end up working for you?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back