Chiller Emergency

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I setup my tank recently. As I'm from Sri Lanka and my closed off hood give little room to cool the water from evaporation the temprature creeps up to 29 (Few more I bet by May) and I decided to Get a Chiller (Hard pill to swallow as quite expensive for my budget capital and also Exlectricty bill).

I have a SunSun 50 gallon tank that came with in build sump setup.
I was hoping to setup the Chiller from Last Chamber of Sump (After water gets cleared of particles) water pump-> Chiller-> connect to Display tank return . (Hopefully this is fine even when power out ?).
The Chiller is hailea HC 100A- Rated100L-200L.

The problem is the Pump I already have is 1400LPH and The chiller is rated 200-1000Lph.
I looked around, If I can find a 1000Lph waterpump cheap but can't find anything. Best they have is 1350lph or 700lph.

But the Chiller will have to Pump the water about 5 feet to the Display. This will also reduce the Speed of the pump. From the looks of it it seems 1400lph might be in reality working slower. Also the 700lph that I might have to buy might not make the cut to pump water that high.

What Should I do. Need some urgent help :confused:. Thanks

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you installing a separate pump for the chiller ?
The chiller will do fine in between the rated 200 and 1000 LPH, the lower flow will produce colder water as the higher flow will do less, it all work fine.

OP
OP
Reesj

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nop not a seperate pump, but as the main water pump to my display tank. Thast the problem I'm having with hight and flow rate.

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your existing pump probably isn’t doing it’s 1400 due to friction loss of the piping and height back to the tank so, I would just use what you have and see how it works, probably be just fine

OP
OP
Reesj

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your existing pump probably isn’t doing it’s 1400 due to friction loss of the piping and height back to the tank so, I would just use what you have and see how it works, probably be just fine

Yes it Should come up around 1k lph from looks of it.
My problem in thinking was will it be a problem for the chiller as it is receiving the force of 1400lph(as Chiller sits lower) although it only puts the water out around 1000lph?

OP
OP
Reesj

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually with the new lower diameter pipes of chiller the water presure seems moot point when I tried to conenct it today. I had to custome make a reducer from a lathe shop. The reducer made the speed even less.
When I measured the LPH usign a 2Ljug (had to cause it was soo slow) it came to about 225LPH. I went to the lathe shop got the reducer a bit moree wider onmiddle. Still when I came home it now sits at only 300lph.
Which sucks as my tank water volume went down as well as the overflow now making some noice to add to the insult;Facepalm;Facepalm

I don't think even addign a bigger pump will help excet get a lathe shop to make some sort of ultra thin reducer with low durability to increase the flow rate!!
Any thoughts....

Back