Chiller Flow Direction.

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on the plumbing for my new 90G SCA. It's getting fairly complicated with the chiller, UV and manifold. Lots of flow restriction due to all the 90s and just a massive amount of pipe. I'm running an old Aquanetics 1/3 hp chiller, it does not label the in and out, but has a built in temp probe on one side, so I assume that to be the inlet (will be controlling externally, so chillers thermostat will not be used). If I could reverse the flow through the chiller it would simplify my plumbing significantly. Does anyone know if reversing the flow through a chiller is acceptable, or will it hurt the efficiency in any way?
IMG_1289.JPG

This is how I have the plumbing mocked up currently:
IMG_1323.JPG

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I asked this of the guy who made my chiller (Tradewinds) he said direction didn’t matter. Hard to see why it would, particularly if you’re not using the internal chiller probe.

OP
OP
Bret

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I asked this of the guy who made my chiller (Tradewinds) he said direction didn’t matter. Hard to see why it would, particularly if you’re not using the internal chiller probe.
That's kinda what I figured. Aquanetics is long out of business or I would have called and asked.
This is what I'm thinking is going to work:
IMG_1324.JPG
IMG_1326.JPG
IMG_1325.JPG

Back