Chiller Question - 230g

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the planning stages of getting my 230g mixed reef started back up after about a year of being out of the hobby due to moving. I am putting the tank in my insulated garage (fairly large garage w 14 foot ceilings). I am in the Charlotte area. I do keep the garage door open for half the day generally, as I have kids and dog running around and work from home often.

I know putting in a mini split would likely be the simplest solution (not cheap$4500)..but am leaning towards a chiller so I can have the tank cooled with the door open. I am thinking of building a box around the chiller and venting it out the window.

I will be using the sump pictured to start, but will likely upgrade to a larger diy sump and a frag tank.

To start with the 230g + 40g sump what size chiller would you recommend, and any other recommendations you can think of regarding cooling? I would like to start with the appropriate size chiller for about 300g, and add a 2nd chiller when I upgrade the sump and add a frag tank, or two. It will likely be 2 different systems.

Screenshot_20220904-115701_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20220904-115536_Photos.jpg

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What will be the ambient temperature in the garage be in summer with the door open? How much pull-down will you need? Putting solar on the garage?

OP
OP
FishyDP

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temp in the garage generally stays about 10 degrees lower than the outside temp. 83-84 deg seems to be an average during the hottest times but can go a little higher. Not alot of sunlight due to trees so it is not like an oven, but still very warm for 3-4 months. Solar is an interesting thought..cost would be a concern but I am open to creative solutions, maybe I will get a quote for that. If by pull-down you mean shades/blinds there are 2 large windows that I keep covered with shades most of the time. There is a room above the garage as well.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull-down is the total number of degrees that the chiller will need to cool to get to your reef temp. This will help determine the size of the chiller AND how long it will need to run to get to that temp. You also need to keep in mind the heat pumps and lights will add. I mentioned solar if you would be fighting several months over 100 degrees like it is here and this would be a refigerated man cave for you. You shouldn't have too much of a hit in energy costs at 84 degrees. Fans can take care of a lot of that.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 39 51.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 7.9%
Back