Chiller Question

MamaGreenFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have 6 month old tank, live in Florida and find that more often than not my tank seems to be a little warmer than I'd like. Temp 80.5-82. I swear my heater is probably never on. I have a Red Sea Reefer 350 with the sump plumbed into a fish room (long under the stairs closet). I'd like to get a chiller but since my sump is in a small, usually closed room/closet I'm worried I'm just going to heat up that room and the chiller will have to work even harder. Basically, the room is not well ventilated and trying to get ventilation to this area is really unrealistic at this point. So will the chiller still worth the investment? Thanks for any and all advice. Pics included for interest.
IMG_1493.jpeg
P1030052.jpeg

-Warm blooded Newbie

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am in Florida and have never needed a chiller. 80-82° is a great range to be in. I keep mine between 79-80°, this with my home AC never lower than 76. Some high quality large case fans are all that is needed. In fact while I was testing out my fans I was able to bring the tank down to the ambient air temp in my house. Not bad considering the heat coming off pumps, UV, etc.

I'd start with a pair of these in the sump with a controller. I run mine at about 25%. But honestly 80-82° is ideal. Save your money and buy a nice coral. If you insist, this is what I have on my system.

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 45 50.6%
  • NO

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 14 15.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.1%

Back