Chiller temperature settings between heater

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys and gals,

I would like to add a chiller to my office fish tank to maintain temperature of 77 degrees. I purchased a 1/10 jbj artica. My heater keeps temp stable during the week at 77 with less than half a degree of fluctuation. What temp setting should I set the chiller at to maintain close to 77 as possible? I have a blue spotted jaw fish who doesn't like warmer temps.

From the pic temps get hot during the weekend without the AC running.
Screenshot_20210623-090646_Engbird.jpg

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot, probably could've fixed that using a fan on a smart switch.
With it being stable most of the time, my concern would be the heater and chiller fighting each other and a lot of on/off, which causes more wear/tear on the parts.
Personally, I run my tank at 78 degrees. You could easily do that and not have to worry. But, if you're set on running at 77, I'd set the chiller at 78.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The articas turn on 1 degree above setpoint and turn off when temp drops to set point. So if set point is 76, the chiller will start to cool at 77 and turn off at 76. This produces a sawtooth that oscillates 76,77,76,77 etc. 5his assumes the chiller has enough capacity to cool your tank.
Make sure you calibrate the chiller to whatever temp source you have confidence in.

OP
OP
G

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, temperature has not started to get hot in southern California yet. During the week this wont be a problem but I have to leave my tank alone all weekend so that's why I bought a chiller.

I am concerned about the seesawing between heater and chiller. Maybe I should set the heater to 76 on the weekends?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how to automate heater and chiller that close.
I keep the heater sp at 77, chiller at 78, so at 79 when the chiller starts to cool, the heater is off.
But try setting for 76

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys and gals,

I would like to add a chiller to my office fish tank to maintain temperature of 77 degrees. I purchased a 1/10 jbj artica. My heater keeps temp stable during the week at 77 with less than half a degree of fluctuation. What temp setting should I set the chiller at to maintain close to 77 as possible? I have a blue spotted jaw fish who doesn't like warmer temps.

From the pic temps get hot during the weekend without the AC running.
Screenshot_20210623-090646_Engbird.jpg
This is probably not a concerning jump but I like to tinker and tighten parameters too so I get it.

we had construction right next to our fish tank for the last 3 weeks- they put in a staircase for an addition and they had HVAC problems so our house temp went into the high 70’s. I was able to keep a 120g tank stable at 78.5 with two C clamp desk fans on a Neptune apex switch.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back