chiller

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a feeling that this summer's going to be a hot one in NY... so now I'm on the market for a chiller. Please suggest a good brand, and a recommended hp for a 24g.

edit; wrong forum. mods, please move it to the hardware discussion please. :D

Acro76

Cherry Corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kigs yer a night owl just like me? :D

For a 24G, almost any chiller would be overkill. Get a room air conditioner or run central air to keep yourself and the tank cool! Fans are your next best bet. Or run your lights more towards evening time, when temps are cooler anyways.

I remember JBJ or some company had a small heat sink attached to a bulkhead fitting for inexpensive cooling on a small tank. Drawback was having to drill the tank for the device...

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe ever since school ended...I've been an insomniac... arch. program really messed up my sleeping patterns. :(

I remember seeing a few people run chillers on their aquapod (I think it was ezcompany over @ NR w/ his 250w). My house does have central air conditioning but we rarely turn it on. Maybe I could look into installing one just for my room.

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kigs I have been selling chillers for years now and the JBJ's are the biggest sellers out of all the brands we carry.I have had nothing but good feedback from everyone that has bought one.

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, are you doing free shipping on the nano-articas as well? i didn't see it labeled.

Acro76

Cherry Corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I didn't know they made chillers that tiny! I stand corrected that any chiller for a tank that small would be overkill!

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, PM sent. Do you think it would be ok to hook up the 1/10hp mini artica, instead of the 1/15hp nano artica for any future upgrades?

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, PM sent. Do you think it would be ok to hook up the 1/10hp mini artica, instead of the 1/15hp nano artica for any future upgrades?

kigs, do you plan to run it on a controller? like an neptune aquacontroller?

my understanding of chillers is the bigger the chiller, the least amount of time it actually runs.....the better (to a reasonable extent of course).

i was thinking about getting one from randy also since he was offering free shipping...

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
surfn, I wasn't planning on using a controller. Should I be?

I was just contemplating since the mini artica supports upto 40g...trying to think ahead but at the same time wondering if it will overchill the tank even after setting it at a certain temp.

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
surfn, I wasn't planning on using a controller. Should I be?

I was just contemplating since the mini artica supports upto 40g...trying to think ahead but at the same time wondering if it will overchill the tank even after setting it at a certain temp.

so you plan on running it 24/7? can the chiller monitor the temp of the tank itself and turn on/off accordingly? (sorry, didnt look at the specifics of the chiller you mentioned)

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
btw......i will never run another tank EVER without an aquacontroller, they are expensive..but man, i dont know how i managed not to have anything bad happen without one. they are AWESOME! you can rig them up to do virtually anything!

and once you have one, you can use it on any sized tank for many many years.

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says in the description that the JBJ comes with a probe and an "integrated temp. controller" so I'm assuming it will only kick in when it goes above desired temperature. I'm not sure what other accessories are necessary to hook it up properly though.

One thing at a time ...hehe This month, chiller. Next month, aquacontroller jr. maybe. ;)

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says in the description that the JBJ comes with a probe and an "integrated temp. controller" so I'm assuming it will only kick in when it goes above desired temperature. I'm not sure what other accessories are necessary to hook it up properly though.

One thing at a time ...hehe This month, chiller. Next month, aquacontroller jr. maybe. ;)

good point. but you never know about those integrated temp controllers......just look at all the problems with heaters failing and frying tanks...lol

an aquacontroller could control a heater, chiller, fans, and lights...all based on its temperature probe ;)

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how am i going to be able to afford an aquacontroller when you put up sweet frag packs like that.... gawd surfn..thanks alot :D

does JBJ have a reputation for failing? that's why I was wondering if anyone had one to share some experience with the product. I guess it's just one of those things that I'm going to take my chances with untill I can buy a used ACjr.

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no clue on the reputation of the JBJ chillers, but i think they are a good starting point at least to finding a good chiller based on how many are sold and used.

lol

if you had frags like that they would eventually pay for chillers and aquacontrollers. ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

• I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Other.

Back