Chipped glass. Opinions

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to chip my red sea reefer 170 sump pretty nicely in a move.

Looking for opinions on what others think about using it. Its still holding water.

Bottom corner of sump

20190115_182204.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have some micro fractures not visible to the eye going on in there. That being said, I made a box-like structure out of neoprene for my sump. It covers the bottom and goes up the sides about 4" all the way around. So if a slow leak develops, hopefully I'll see it before it overflows and damages the cabinet and then the floor in our home. Got the roll of neoprene from BRS and cut and glued the ends where I folded it upward with wetsuit glue. So it's kinda like a neoprene box that the sump fits into.

T-5unsystem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id fill it in my garage to the brim and leave it for a few days. If it works for a few days (I suspect it will have no problem) I would use it without much concern since it generally will be at half the pressure being only half full.

OP
OP
squampton

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it filled in the shower, living in an apartment so its the only safe place to test it but the shower is a flat surface so should be okay.

I worry mostly if there is damage not visible that may create some issues in the future or higher risk of failure.

I am also looking into having a more basic sump built locally there are a couple people who know how and have built them before, trying to avoid the crazy replacement and shipping cost of getting a new one from Red Sea, $355 and $300 in shipping.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but there is absolutely no way to say whether it’s going to be long term safe or not. Probably ok, but not guaranteed of course.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you took a chunk off the outside surface? Hit the fresh sharp edges (gently) with some sand paper, refill it and if it holds for 20 minutes it will probably last you 10 years+. Be careful not to bump that edge again!

Hybrid Ken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it filled in the shower, living in an apartment so its the only safe place to test it but the shower is a flat surface so should be okay.

I worry mostly if there is damage not visible that may create some issues in the future or higher risk of failure.

I am also looking into having a more basic sump built locally there are a couple people who know how and have built them before, trying to avoid the crazy replacement and shipping cost of getting a new one from Red Sea, $355 and $300 in shipping.

I would look into a acrylic sump if funds allow it. Some real nice ones out there for sure.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like you took a chunk off the outside surface? Hit the fresh sharp edges (gently) with some sand paper, refill it and if it holds for 20 minutes it will probably last you 10 years+. Be careful not to bump that edge again!

I'm with KrisReef and a couple others. The chip looks clean, and doesn't look like it will progress. While there is a small chance there are microscopic fissures that could propagate, I would deem this a small risk. I've had much worse chips at the bottom of larger display tanks, without issue. I would use it for sure. Check it every couple weeks for the first few months to make sure cracks aren't developing. I definitely would not be worried about a catastrophic failure here.

OP
OP
squampton

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked closer today under sun (first sunny day in a while) and there is a very hard to see hairline crack venturing out from the chip, so while its holding water, I am not going to risk it.

Thanks for the input.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I looked closer today under sun (first sunny day in a while) and there is a very hard to see hairline crack venturing out from the chip, so while its holding water, I am not going to risk it.

Thanks for the input.

Good man. I'm glad you saw the crack (and glad you didn't take my advice). [emoji20]

Back