Chloramines??

Der ABT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK well its time to do some new RODI filters and i figured i might as well look up the water addatives in the local water supply (moved back to the DC area and finally used the stockpile of filters i had previously)
Used to not have to worry about chloramines but apparently i do now.
Since moving up here i have had a constant battle with Algea regardless of a 3 tds reading and nitrates/po4 reading near 0 (dont have an egg checker but i cant read it on any of the diff brand test kits ive used salifert/api/elos) though if algea is there i figure there has to be some Nitrates/po4 for it to grow off of.

and from what my wife said (soil chemist but chemist none the less) should wouldnt be suprised if it messed with the Nitrite/trate cycle etc.

Has anyone else had a problem with something like this where they are not using a chloramine specific carbon block filter and notice algea, or the opposite have not been using one where it is in the water and had no problem with algea?

trying to justify the extra 10 bucks a carbon block (yeh i know its only ten bucks but)

thanks for any help.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I'd spend the $10 and see what kind of difference it made. I don't have chloramine specific carbon in my RO, and never had any algae issues besides bubble algae, which came from some rock I got.

scrapz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its $10, if you can't afford that for that cost over 6 months use, find another hobby. thousands in livestock > $10 filter.

IME, I used non-chlormaine filters for over 3 years without a problem. Just upgraded the filters on my last filter swap 2 months ago.

OP
OP
D

Der ABT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
again i know its 10 bucks but not a fan of burning dollars, got a 10mo old and thats like 3 diapers (so like 40 minutes worth)
really looking for more of actual effects of chloramines and not people going - hey cheap butt find a different hobby, very constructive and completely off point but if you want to send me 10 bucks id happily accept (not pointing any fingers:crossedlips: or am i)

do you guys have chloramines in your water?? local water authority has it list on their websites if you dont know, not all places use it.

scrapz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there is chloramines in CA water supply. I answered all your questions in my post.

You knew the answer to your own question. Are you looking for real answers or just someone to coddle you in your bad choice? Remember you are responsible for the livestock you take in. You are already experiencing problems with the tank in this short period, think about the long term effects it may have on your tank & livestock.

So again, if you can't afford the $10 over a 6 month period. Find another hobby. We don't need irresponsible reef keepers killing livestock because they were too cheap.

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You spend the money you have to spend. The water at my house is horrible. Turn the faucet on and you think someone opened a bottle of bleachm the tds going into the RODI was over 450 at one point. I actually got one of the empty canisters from bulk reef supply put another carbon block to in front of the RODI lowered my TDS. Spend the $10 it will save you money in the long run.

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon blocks that aren't labeled specifically for chloramines will still do the job (source). IF your carbon is letting chloramines through the system, there's a couple things to worry about.

1) the chloramine will damage the RO membrane.
2) if there's chloramine in the output water, it eventually breaks down and leaves the amine byproduct, which is a nitrogen compound. I don't know if it's consequential enough to fuel an algae outbreak, but it's just another reason to change filters when it's time.

nikesb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chloramine can attach with other compounds toxic to fishes that will burn their gills

OP
OP
D

Der ABT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the constructive anwsers without the rants.

Yes, there is chloramines in CA water supply. I answered all your questions in my post.
You knew the answer to your own question. Are you looking for real answers or just someone to coddle you in your bad choice? Remember you are responsible for the livestock you take in. You are already experiencing problems with the tank in this short period, think about the long term effects it may have on your tank & livestock.
So again, if you can't afford the $10 over a 6 month period. Find another hobby. We don't need irresponsible reef keepers killing livestock because they were too cheap.

wow your special, and no you didnt anwser all the questions 1st post (2nd post got you taken care of)and your also not the only person im looking for an anwser from. what short period of time are you talking about, didnt realize 10 years is short but if your going off join date that 3 months you have on me must make a world of difference but if your referring to move time its been almost 2 years
only problems ive seen is some algea that is annoying but not harmful in my frag tank, but since you must know everything.

my question was mainly whats the effects of chloramine, got some good anwsers now, and if anyone has seen effects causeing algea but since that seems to not happen.
My TDS is already fine 2-4 range, not sure on chloramine as i dont have a test for that but thanks to the article posted seems the regular filters work just fine. Thanks for the article...

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting, but i just found out that we have chloramine in our water and i dont have any special filters.
i guess i should perhaps change my setup around. what are you guys with chloramine using

scrapz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk reef supply catalytic carbon. You would also need to purchase a new housing for the carbon, it's about $7.12 I believe.

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk reef supply catalytic carbon. You would also need to purchase a new housing for the carbon, it's about $7.12 I believe.

so you would have to add an extra filter for catalytic and thats it?

scrapz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are basically swapping 1 of your carbon filters out. For my BRS 5 stage system, it was filter #2

OP
OP
D

Der ABT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish the posts coulda started out like this.
thanks for the details on what your doing, will probably be adding the extrra stage on there.

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish the posts coulda started out like this.
thanks for the details on what your doing, will probably be adding the extrra stage on there.

it happens sometimes ppl forget they are not on that other forum

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 29 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 44 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back