Ro Filters?

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea here is to allow your sediment filter(s) to do their job (capture sediment) and allow your carbon block(s) to do their job.

By the time the water gets to the carbon blocks, if the micron ratings on all filters are designed correctly, sediment should be a non-issue. Maybe an example will help here:

BAD: 5 micron sediment->1 micron carbon (the carbon block will capture sediment between 5 and 1 micron)

If you use two carbon blocks, use your best carbon block (highest chlorine capacity) to handle the fully chlorinated water right out of the sediment filter. Use your lower capacity carbon block next to catch any chlorine that got past the first block.

Also - with few exceptions, there's no need for two carbon blocks on systems fed non-chlorinated well water.
Ok, thank. I was a little stuck on why to possibly put to smaller micron carbon filter 1st, but what you explained made sense.

OP
OP
T

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Buckeye Hydro I got the 3 way valve. How do I install this? I think know how to but want to make sure. I am guessing goes before DI cartridges both ends get attached to DI Before and After 3rd one is RO water out. Correct?

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Buckeye Hydro I got the 3 way valve. How do I install this? I think know how to but want to make sure. I am guessing goes before DI cartridges both ends get attached to DI Before and After 3rd one is RO water out. Correct?
Do you want to use the 3-way valve as a manual DI Bypass to deal with TDS creep?

If so, plumb the RO water to the bottom of the 3-way valve. Turn the valve to route the RO water to either of the two outlets. Your TDS creep period likely lasts about 60 to 90 seconds - so I'd send the RO water to drain for that much time, then move the valve to route the RO water on to the DI stage.
3-way valve.png

OP
OP
T

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, can this also I guess check the water TDS easily after membrane? that is what I wanted. I have no idea what TDS creep is to be honest, lol.

OP
OP
T

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never recommend your only sediment filter be 0.5 micron with well water.
@Buckeye Hydro
First stage 5 micron sediment > Second 1 micron or 0.5 micron sediment > Third Chloraguard chloramine > Fourth 0.5 Chlorine grabber > Spectrapure 99% 90 GPD Membrane > DI have 2 caninsters one with Anion other Mixed Bed. Seems like the mixed bed goes a lot faster.

I am doing this because I think my water has a ton of sediment in it. If I have it correct anything 5 micron or bigger will be captured by first filter; anything smaller than 5 will be captured by second. I would think the one micron sediment will last longer that is my goal.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - if you have lots of sediment (meaning if your sediment filters clog quicker than you'd like), putting a 5 mic ahead of the 1 mic is a good idea.

Removing heavy sediment loads can sometimes take some experimenting to dial in the optimum pore size on your filter(s).

OP
OP
T

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Buckeye Hydro Here is a pic with only 60 gallons have filter monitor ; already sediment filter looks dirty the 5 micron. My second housing leaking.. I have to figure out why. Thoughts?

IMG_1923.jpeg

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First - have you allowed your vendor the opportunity to invest their time in producing a solution for you?

Looks like your sediment filter is doing exactly what you asked it to do - trap sediment.

Pinpoint the source of the leak - where is the leak, precisely?

OP
OP
T

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like maybe housing is stripped. I just ordered a new housing. How to determine when to change sediment filter? Leak on top, I checked o-ring looks ok. Thanks

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean the threads where a fitting screws in are stripped?

You just ordered a new housing? I didn't see your order come in.

OP
OP
T

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The housing white cap looks stripped. I just ordered, I forgot to check out lol. I think got this housing from Amazon maybe cheap.

OP
OP
T

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Buckeye Hydro It looks like my 5 micron sediment filter needs changing. When you see a pressure drop that means need to change correct? It only lasted 300 gallons total water not production is this normal?

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Buckeye Hydro It looks like my 5 micron sediment filter needs changing. When you see a pressure drop that means need to change correct? It only lasted 300 gallons total water not production is this normal?
Reduced pressure downstream of a filter means that filter is clogging.

Normal? Well, there really no "normal" with sediment filters as everyone's situation is different. With muni water, your situation is certainly not typical. Muni water is typically very low in sediment.

Remember you can do some experimenting - maybe put a 10 micron first rather than a 5 micron - we don't know the size of most of your sediment.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back