Anyone ever use cheaper alternatives for RODI components?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rawsreef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
@EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal what’s wrong with that?

i have to agree with Eeyore on this one.
Temu is definitely the last place i would look for something like this.

Reason is, if you understand Temu marketplace.

1. Its mostly from factories which are closing, and need to move inventory at a loss even.
2. There is absolutely no quality assurance in Temu period because most of these factories won't even be open next month.
3. Id honestly pay a few dollars more, and get one from a reputable vendor on amazon, like ispring, or even geekpure.

Although i usually buy my membrane from DOW, like everyone states.
And carbon block, i will go with ispring or geekpure, and just assume i will have to swap them out more often, which is fine. It still comes out a bit cheaper then buying the premium ones which i do get for my drinking water system.
 
I always buy from home water filter suppliers and avoid the reef label tax.

It's works out about 1/4 the price here.

No problems in over 15 years.
Can you please give me more details about the system you have?
 
This. I've been using the Amazon stuff for years with no issues. I'm still achieving 96% rejection from the 'cheap' 150gpd membranes and the cheap sediment/carbon filters are fine. The chloramine filter is expensive no matter where you source it as been my experience. I also buy my mixed bed resin from them as well, outside of buying massive amounts or finding it on clearance, price is consistent and the color actually changes (when it exhaust) as it supposed to.

I've never had to replace a membrane. I have to replace carbon the most. Carbon blocks are expensive compared to buying a cubic foot of Calgon Centaur and using refillable canisters.
Can you please give me details on what system you have and where you get it?
 
99% of vendors are the same on Amazon. You also can’t trust that an item wasn’t opened and returned. You’ll never know if that membrane has been used and swapped. That stuff happens all the time.

My wife literally got a dress the other day that was altered and still had safety pins in it and someone had hemmed it. Said it was new and sealed in the bag.

I’d trust sediment or carbon blocks. I wouldn’t trust a membrane.

My experience has been that you can not hide the fact that a membrane is used.

I recently swapped out a new membrane (not even 3 months old) for another to troubleshoot a lack of production. When I pulled it, it was clearly used.

My issue with Amazon is the counterfeit items. There is a great deal of Chinese knock-offs.

You can get a "Dupont" membrane from them, but it isn't beyond Chinese manufactured product to slap the name on the product to make it look like the real McCoy.
 
I have been using ro buddy, works well and I upgraded it to a 7 stage kit.
 
I get 99% rejection from the cheap geek pure membranes. Abusing them in a 1500 gallon system… they last about 2.5 months and fail suddenly… which chews up my di resin.

Spectrapure last me longer 5 months.

Upgraded to a 500 gpd membrane (reef store) and I added a whole house sized carbon filter (Amazon). I want it to last a year or longer because packing anionic DI resin is a smelly chore.
 
I can't remember where I bought my carbon and sediment filters. I've been running one of these membranes without issues.

Screenshot_20240413-132612.png
UPDATE :. Maybe this will save someone from wasting time and money.
I no longer recommend this membrane. I installed it mid march 2024 and it's plugged. I'm still getting 0 tds but only a slow drip of RODI. New sediment, carbon and di resin. Installed a filmtec 100gpd membrane and now I'm getting a nice flow of 0 TDS onto the Brutes. One thing I noticed that should have been an indicator but I missed it. With the plugged membrane the pressure gauge on the membrane house was pegged and bouncing off the limit. With the new membrane it steady at 90 psi. I run an RO buddy booster pump.
EDIT : This is the first time I've had a membrane plug. Usually they just burn through resin.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new