Chlorine gas off period

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just gone through the process of bleaching some live rock and I am not happy with the current state of the rock. Rock was soaked for a week in a bleach solution of 10/1 and then put into a bucket with rodi/ seachem prime for 24hrs. The rock was then rinsed in ro/di and is now outside sun drying. After an insane amount of prime (approx 1/3 of the bottle in 3g of water), I can't imagine any chlorine still being on the rock, and yet even after that and being outside for 24hrs I can still faintly smell chlorine on the rock. My question is, approx how long should the rock be outside to completely gas off and if the rock was to go into the tank, can I dose prime to the tank to make sure it's all gone? Can the rock leach chlorine over time even if it was dosed with prime in the tank?

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is probably still water soaked into the rock. Let it dry in the sun longer. Liquid chlorine is unstabilized so uv degrades it very quickly

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just gone through the process of bleaching some live rock and I am not happy with the current state of the rock. Rock was soaked for a week in a bleach solution of 10/1 and then put into a bucket with rodi/ seachem prime for 24hrs. The rock was then rinsed in ro/di and is now outside sun drying. After an insane amount of prime (approx 1/3 of the bottle in 3g of water), I can't imagine any chlorine still being on the rock, and yet even after that and being outside for 24hrs I can still faintly smell chlorine on the rock. My question is, approx how long should the rock be outside to completely gas off and if the rock was to go into the tank, can I dose prime to the tank to make sure it's all gone? Can the rock leach chlorine over time even if it was dosed with prime in the tank?
I let mine sit in the sun for a week. If you can faintly smell the bleach it's still there. I didnt bother using prime until it evaporated off. What I found useful was to put the rocks in hot hot water and let them air dry while hot because it speeds the process

OP
OP
ibob991

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let mine sit in the sun for a week. If you can faintly smell the bleach it's still there. I didnt bother using prime until it evaporated off. What I found useful was to put the rocks in hot hot water and let them air dry while hot because it speeds the process

Would wrapping them in tin foil accomplish the same thing?

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the foil not reflect the heat onto the rock?
It would reflect which means the area would not get hot because the light is being reflected away. If you stand on a surface made of asphalt and a surface that's painted white you would notice it's much hotter near the asphalt because the white reflects the sun away while the black absorbs and radiates the heat.

In cooking foil is used because it insulates the heat, but if you insulate 2 things happen, the heat stays in and so does moisture

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the foil not reflect the heat onto the rock?

Are you laying the rock on sheets of foil to dry or are you suggesting wrapping the rock in foil.

I assume you want to lay out sheets of foil and let the rock dry on top of it.

The foil may reflect sunlight, but I’m not sure how much it would accelerate drying.

I’d try it.

OP
OP
ibob991

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would reflect which means the area would not get hot because the light is being reflected away. If you stand on a surface made of asphalt and a surface that's painted white you would notice it's much hotter near the asphalt because the white reflects the sun away while the black absorbs and radiates the heat.

In cooking foil is used because it insulates the heat, but if you insulate 2 things happen, the heat stays in and so does moisture

Very good point, I am curious if the rock should be orderless by the end of the drying period or will it still have an odor?

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good point, I am curious if the rock should be orderless by the end of the drying period or will it still have an odor?
Bleach odor? It should be all gone. I noticed the smell for a long while but after a week outside it was 100% gone I had my fiance smell the rock and she couldnt smell any

OP
OP
ibob991

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach odor? It should be all gone. I noticed the smell for a long while but after a week outside it was 100% gone I had my fiance smell the rock and she couldnt smell any

Ok, so It should be oderless. Any chance a hairdryer would do anything to the rock? Also I have noticed the rock covered in a dried white powder like substance, is that bleach?

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back