Chloroquine phosphate with amoxicillin/cipro?

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am quarentining a group of fish with chloroquine phosphate.

One of them developed a bacterial infection. It developed very quickly, there were no visible signs 10 hours ago and now there's a big growth on the tail.

Is amoxicillin/cipro compatible with CP? Will it destroy de biofilter?

These are the only antibiotics I have at hand, the nearest lfs is 2 hours away. I know one treats gram positive bacteria and the other gram negative. Can I combine them?

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing Cipro + CP is not a good idea as it can very negatively effect the biofilter. CP + most antibiotics is usually OK, but as usual your fish could vary in its response.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing Cipro + CP is not a good idea as it can very negatively effect the biofilter. CP + most antibiotics is usually OK, but as usual your fish could vary in its response.

Thanks, I will setup an hospital tank and treat separately.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this. With CP though I generally dose prime to make up for the lack of biofilter. I believe @HotRocks has done this but I agree it’s not recommended.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this. With CP though I generally dose prime to make up for the lack of biofilter. I believe @HotRocks has done this but I agree it’s not recommended.

During a previous quarentine I used live rock, ceramic media and CP.

3 weeks later I placed a small rock with an aiptasia in the tank and the next day it was gone, CP was still active enough in the tank to kill it.

So the fish I am quarentining now are also with ceramic media (taken from my sump) and CP in a 80 gallon tank (a flame angel and 4 threadfin cardinals).

I already transferred the fish (a threadfin cardinal, now without tail just and a bloody looking end) to a 5 gallon tank and I used amoxicillin because it seemed to have broader spectrum than cipro.

It has no biofilter, just an airstone. But it's just 1 small fish and the treatment requires water changes anyway. I placed an ammonia alert in his tank.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back