chloroquine phosphate treatment questions

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, i recently purchased 10 grams of Chloroquine phosphate and have placed a order for a red coris wrasse (3 inches according to seller) and a pair of lemon butterflys. ive read to treat with 20-80 mg per gallon for 10-14 days followed by 30-60 days observation (for me the observation is two weeks prazipro and two weeks metroplex) is this correct? and ive also read coris wrasse are sensitive to it so is this a fish better treated in copper safe? anyone know how the butterflys react to CP? i plan on doing two 10 gallon tanks dosed at 40 mg per gallon with nothing but pvc elbows heater and air stone and doing a 3 gallon water change everyday on them both and dosing 120 mg into those three gallons each day BEFORE adding it back into the QT tank. this is my first time and hopefully last time ever qting with CP as i dont plan on anymore fish ever i just need my guys to grow large enough for a big ol tank now and this is why the clarification questions are being asked. also if it matters i got the CP from drreef. any thoughts or experiences with it are also welcome.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all, i recently purchased 10 grams of Chloroquine phosphate and have placed a order for a red coris wrasse (3 inches according to seller) and a pair of lemon butterflys. ive read to treat with 20-80 mg per gallon for 10-14 days followed by 30-60 days observation (for me the observation is two weeks prazipro and two weeks metroplex) is this correct? and ive also read coris wrasse are sensitive to it so is this a fish better treated in copper safe? anyone know how the butterflys react to CP? i plan on doing two 10 gallon tanks dosed at 40 mg per gallon with nothing but pvc elbows heater and air stone and doing a 3 gallon water change everyday on them both and dosing 120 mg into those three gallons each day BEFORE adding it back into the QT tank. this is my first time and hopefully last time ever qting with CP as i dont plan on anymore fish ever i just need my guys to grow large enough for a big ol tank now and this is why the clarification questions are being asked. also if it matters i got the CP from drreef. any thoughts or experiences with it are also welcome.
So - you're saying different things - you say I am going to do x, and it's recommended to do y. The protocols for QT are listed as a sticky. So - not sure what you're asking.

If its - a quarantine protocol for Chloroquine PO4 ok - but you're asking multiple questions in one sentence - that IMHO cannot be answered - I think you're good with what you're doing - But the way its written - I'm not sure

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You can safely treat with coppersafe at 2.25
Other options are ruby rally pro and even general cure
CO is somewhat less impact on fish and treated at 60mlg by weight per gallon and must be precise

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - you're saying different things - you say I am going to do x, and it's recommended to do y. The protocols for QT are listed as a sticky. So - not sure what you're asking.

If its - a quarantine protocol for Chloroquine PO4 ok - but you're asking multiple questions in one sentence - that IMHO cannot be answered - I think you're good with what you're doing - But the way its written - I'm not sure
my bad if i typed it out weird. im setting up two ten gallon tanks with airstones heaters and pvc elbows to QT some new fish. its my first time using chloroquine phosphate and so i am asking if the information i have read is correct. i have read to treat for 10-14 days and then do a 30-60 day observation. i plan on doing this at a dosage of 40 mg per gallon and doing 3 gallon water changes each day of the treatment on both 10 gallon QT tanks adding 120 mg of CP to each 3 gallon saltwater mix i will be using to water change before i add it into the tank as to not drop it below therapudic. im asking if this information is correct to follow, and if coris wrasse or butterflys are sensitive to it since i am unable to find any information except that "most fish tolerate it good" just as "most fish tolerate copper safe good" but eels rays sharks and some butterflys and large angels wont tolerate copper sometimes so i was asking if some fish maybe arnt the best fish to be treating with CP and if so which ones. im also asking this as the article i was reading is four years old and things change, strengths of medication change, and new information comes out. just dont want to do this blindly without speaking to anyone about it and just going off a article.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my bad if i typed it out weird. im setting up two ten gallon tanks with airstones heaters and pvc elbows to QT some new fish. its my first time using chloroquine phosphate and so i am asking if the information i have read is correct. i have read to treat for 10-14 days and then do a 30-60 day observation. i plan on doing this at a dosage of 40 mg per gallon and doing 3 gallon water changes each day of the treatment on both 10 gallon QT tanks adding 120 mg of CP to each 3 gallon saltwater mix i will be using to water change before i add it into the tank as to not drop it below therapudic. im asking if this information is correct to follow, and if coris wrasse or butterflys are sensitive to it since i am unable to find any information except that "most fish tolerate it good" just as "most fish tolerate copper safe good" but eels rays sharks and some butterflys and large angels wont tolerate copper sometimes so i was asking if some fish maybe arnt the best fish to be treating with CP and if so which ones. im also asking this as the article i was reading is four years old and things change, strengths of medication change, and new information comes out. just dont want to do this blindly without speaking to anyone about it and just going off a article.

I've had issues with CP in some wrasses and lionfish. I now prefer Coppersafe in almost every case over CP. Here is my original article on CP from ten years ago:

https://reefs.com/magazine/aquarium-fish-chloroquine-a-new-drug-for-treating-fish-diseases/

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 86 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back