Chocolate chip sea star in sump?

Scott Ulrich

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 5, 2018
Messages
240
Reaction score
198
Location
Cincinnati, OH
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a half full 20 gallon display sump (w/o baffles, just contains skimmer, heater and return pump) and wondering if I could add a chocolate chip sea star?

Main display is a 40 gallon breeder with 2x clownfish, 2x cleaner shrimp, 1x orchid dottyback and planning to add a lawnmower blenny, which will be final fish stock. Would like to have corals someday so wouldn't want to add the the cc starfish to main display obviously.

Thanks!
Scott
20180923_092055.jpeg
20181022_224539.jpeg
 
You could but you would need to supplement feed the star since there’s no detritus in your sump
 
You could but you would need to supplement feed the star since there’s no detritus in your sump
Thanks! I can feed it that is not a problem. Thinking I can also take the filter off the overflow and the stuff that just floats into the sump as well he can clean up :)
 
Doing some more research and LiveAquaria says chocolate chip sea stars can get up 15" ;Bookworm but I suppose even if it got larger than 6" might be too big for a 20 gallon...

Just thinking that since the sump is on full display it might be nice to put something in there :) but I suppose I'll just leave it empty, or maybe add some chaeto, as it is a nice place to do water changes and refill water level.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new