Help!! Chocolate Chip Sea Star horns changing color

Ada1107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I need some help. My chocolate chip sea star’s horns started changing color yesterday. It’s still moving around and eating just fine but I’m worried that this could be an early sign of illness or stress. It’s currently happening on two of its horns but I’m not sure if it will spread. Has this happened to anyone? Does anyone know what’s going on?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bumping this up for anyone who might have info. Unfortunately, I don't have much knowledge on these guys!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the feeding regimen and has it changed recently by chance? How long has it been in your care prior to this observation?

OP
OP
A

Ada1107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the feeding regimen and has it changed recently by chance? How long has it been in your care prior to this observation?
I typically feed it 5 days a week. I alternate feeding it algae wafers and clam pieces. I’ve had it for about 5 months and haven’t had any issues. This just started 2 days ago out of the blue. Even today it’s still moving around and eating okay. I haven’t noticed any additional spots or discolorations. The problem areas haven’t gotten worse or better, it’s still the same discoloration.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't sound like reason for concern to me, given you mentioned that it's active and eating regularly. Can you post a picture? How pronounced is the color change (as in only lightening up a little or more dramatic of a change)? I'd just keep an eye on it for now.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have photos? What are your parameters? How long have you had them? It is normal for stars spikes to change or erode overtime and they can vary in shape and sharpness depending on the location they are found.

OP
OP
A

Ada1107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't sound like reason for concern to me, given you mentioned that it's active and eating regularly. Can you post a picture? How pronounced is the color change (as in only lightening up a little or more dramatic of a change)? I'd just keep an eye on it for now.

IMG_8028.jpg
IMG_8080.jpg

The first photo was taken the day it started and the last photo was one that was taken today. It seems to continue to lighten in color but as far as its behavior goes, it seems okay.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8028.jpg
IMG_8080.jpg

The first photo was taken the day it started and the last photo was one that was taken today. It seems to continue to lighten in color but as far as its behavior goes, it seems okay.
It might be from a nutritional deficiency or something of that nature. If no detrimental signs have been observed regarding behavior, activity, willingness to eat, etc. it wouldn't be concerning to me if he were mine.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back