Chocolate chip starfish issues

plamen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I am new to the hobby, so I got a quick question. I noticed this morning my chocolate chip starfish had this going on on it's underside, and it certainly hasn't looked like that before. Anyone know what this is?

PXL_20230828_103621992.jpg

OP
OP
P

plamen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An 9 hours later it looks like this..... What could have caused this in such a short time period?

Attachments

• PXL_20230828_215153342.jpg
    PXL_20230828_215153342.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 108

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its melting, my best advice is remove it now cause they get really rancid when they melt and die, worse smelling thing in the world and I've nuked a 10 gallon from one melting in there during a harlequin shrimp feeding. It'll also leave behind these white pebbles you may or may not like visually.

Not sure on the cause in this case, could be starving, didn't take a parameter swing well, or fed the wrong foods.

The ones I keep in my sump to cut legs from for harlequin shrimp all seem to be doing well for a few months now, I give them a clam and occasionally leftovers of uneaten food from the other animals. If it got injured on the oral disk it could've gotten infected and spread to the rest of the star. Looks like from the first image that could be the case. Sadly nothing you can do at this point.

Taxi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An 9 hours later it looks like this..... What could have caused this in such a short time period?
RIP. I lost my chocolate chip last week. (My green spot puffer attacked him at night)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%

Back