Chocolate chip star fish in reef?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AK47
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

AK47

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 7, 2016
Messages
76
Reaction score
26
Location
Pacific North West
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up 2 CC starfish, but then read they may attack zoes, and other soft corals, has anyone kept these in reef tank? I have a 40 breeder.
 
Usually not recommended. My buddy had one and had to remove it. But maybe if you can get them eating something different it might help.
 
They eat meat including coral. Good for sump though.

They actually eat asterina stars too. Use to control them in my sump with one.
 
They eat meat including coral. Good for sump though.

They actually eat asterina stars too. Use to control them in my sump with one.

I think I'll drop them in the sump then.:)

Most definitely lol

I would get harlequin shrimp just cause the look so cool, but I their feeding would be to much work after he caught up to the starfish :mad::oops:
 
Mine eats a medium c.c. star in a few weeks but yes they do nothing but eat

20160720_161216.jpg


20160720_160454.jpg
 
I started cutting legs off then I got lazy and now just drop the whole thing in I had a couple die that I was cutting but he keeps them alive better than I did so I just drop it in when he is out roaming the tank I know he needs another one

He grabs it flips it over paralyzes it and drags it to his cave I have seen it come back to life when the Harley molts but it never makes it far and he eats the whole thing nothing left of it
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new