Choosing between two salts

Habibi Brizzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!
I’m a newbie to the hobby and I wanted some advice on which direction to take going forward. I’m making a decision on choosing between two TM salts, the classic salt or the pro-reef. Now I know the classic has a dKH of 9 and lower cal and mag . The pro-reef has dKH of 7 and higher cal and mag. Now I currently use the classic version, wouldn’t it just make sense to continue buying the classic and do the 1 part dose of TM all-reef ? In my mind would I be getting the best of both by having good dKH and higher trace elements or will I be running into a problem here ? Lmk. I have some lps and softies atm but my goal down the road is to add sps coral when my parameters are solid.
I still don’t know how one thing could affect the other, it would be nice to get a good resource to understand the chemistry side of things.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite a few people "dose" their WC water to the parameters that match your tank.

I personally use regular old purple box IO. ALK is always high, CAl is usually spot on, and MAG is always high.

For me I dose a bit of muriatic acid to bring down the ALK, and if need be a little CAL.

While I have never used All for reef, it would be perfectly fine to does that to bring up the levels in a salt mix. I just happen to like single use chemicals, and do not like grouping them like all for reef does(call me old school, but been doing this way for 20+ years). Only because if I want to bring up only CAL, all for reef will raise ALK and CAL, not just the CAL part.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!
I’m a newbie to the hobby and I wanted some advice on which direction to take going forward. I’m making a decision on choosing between two TM salts, the classic salt or the pro-reef. Now I know the classic has a dKH of 9 and lower cal and mag . The pro-reef has dKH of 7 and higher cal and mag. Now I currently use the classic version, wouldn’t it just make sense to continue buying the classic and do the 1 part dose of TM all-reef ? In my mind would I be getting the best of both by having good dKH and higher trace elements or will I be running into a problem here ? Lmk. I have some lps and softies atm but my goal down the road is to add sps coral when my parameters are solid.
I still don’t know how one thing could affect the other, it would be nice to get a good resource to understand the chemistry side of things.

I personally think it makes little difference what the calcium and alk parameters of the salt mix are as long as you take the levels appropriately into account when dosing and doing water changes.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back