Raising salt mix alk

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want to raise TM Pro Reef alkalinity to 9 dkh. Can I just add the appropriate amount of my 2 part alk to my mixing bin after the salt mix is fully mixed out of the more to it?

Wagonguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume that the same applies to Mg and Ca as well?

Whenever I mix up a batch of water for a water change. I check Alk, Mg and Ca on the main tank first and then the newly mixed batch of water. There is always a difference especially in the Mg. So I use a calculator for the supplements that I am using and then dose a bit less that what the calculator suggests.

What I have found is that due to the amount that I am adding. The salinity increases in the new batch of water. Must be due to the trace elements.

How do i get around that? Mix at 1.023 or 24 to compensate?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume that the same applies to Mg and Ca as well?

Whenever I mix up a batch of water for a water change. I check Alk, Mg and Ca on the main tank first and then the newly mixed batch of water. There is always a difference especially in the Mg. So I use a calculator for the supplements that I am using and then dose a bit less that what the calculator suggests.

What I have found is that due to the amount that I am adding. The salinity increases in the new batch of water. Must be due to the trace elements.

How do i get around that? Mix at 1.023 or 24 to compensate?

Trace elements, by their very definition, do not impact salinity. Raising magnesium and calcium will raise salinity.

How much are you wanting to raise these?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back