Choosing Cleanup Crew Critters.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to add some snails (we have enough hermits and they never freaking die lol). Ideally I'm looking to get some that love brown or green diatoms first, then ones that like all the other algae and then a few to stir the sand. And absolutely, none that can't right themselves lol. I've had more snails die because I don't have the time or desire to look through the tank every day and right them.

Having said that, which ones should we look at? And where are good places to buy online since we're basically all quarantined now?

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say that in our previous tank (75G) we had a huge problem with bristle worms from not knowing what we were doing at first and over feeding combined with not having anything to control their population. We added a hand full of bumblebee snails and boy did we notice that worm population start to decrease haha. We only have a couple of the bumblebee ones in our new tank.

Jsimon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I order my CUC from http://www.reefcleaners.org/

they have a nice setup of package based on size of tank. They will also give you a recommended crew based upon what you already have in your tank.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I order my CUC from http://www.reefcleaners.org/

they have a nice setup of package based on size of tank. They will also give you a recommended crew based upon what you already have in your tank.

I looked quickly. Buying a full tank package isn't in the cards right now but since we already have some in there maybe I can just buy a small one as a top off.

Jsimon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Click on the custom clean up crew they ask you some questions then respond back with a recommendation of what you should buy

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through the whole clean up crew buy. I used Reefcleaners too. I do not recommend the critons as they just died. However, the turbos have been good at mowing down my hair algae. The astrea are a pain as they do not right themselves, my turbos have been able to. I know your frustration on not righting themselves.
I love my 500 pack of dwarf cerith snails. They are tiny, but work great. They just fill the tank and night on the sand, on the sides and all disappear in the day.
I know that black onyx nassarius are great too. They do not have them at reef cleaners though. I love those snails as they eat everything.
My nassarius are good critters too.
I hate hermits, except scarlets. I got 100 of them, and immediately put them into the sump. They tried to eat every snail in the tank. UGH! They will be good in the sump though. Lots of food.
The limpets I got did not survive too long either. Maybe a bummer batch. I like the conch though.
Good luck.

I have never had to have this much clean up crew in the past. I think my algae scrubber is just not mature enough yet. :)

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never thought about putting hermits or snails in the sump. What good does that do? And would you put them only in the fuge section? I'd be worried about them getting sucked into the skimmer or return or something. Or eating the macroalgae I'm trying to grow in the fuge.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will scavenge and eat detritus in the sump. They are there mainly as I thought they would be okay, but they immediately attacked all snails. Dumb things. I still have a few in the main DT. I have screen on the intake to the return and they are in a different section. Should not be a problem.
I do have a few in the other tanks too. They seem to be doing okay with the snails so far.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will scavenge and eat detritus in the sump. They are there mainly as I thought they would be okay, but they immediately attacked all snails. Dumb things. I still have a few in the main DT. I have screen on the intake to the return and they are in a different section. Should not be a problem.
I do have a few in the other tanks too. They seem to be doing okay with the snails so far.

It seems no matter which hermits we get, they all wind up being *****s and going after our snails, especially when I was getting the ones that can't right themselves. All our foundation rock and anything unstable is epoxyed so the big snails shouldn't be a problem for us to have.

Marvollo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After experimenting with inverts, I am back to keeping it clean with a dry bottom and maybe a cleaner shrimp or two. Snails grow out of control, my big zebras would die and disappear.

Reefer_2711

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just introduced some nassarius snails and they immediately went under the sandbed, and they have not moved since. I know they are still alive. Is this normal?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Such a helpful thread!

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice write up.. just what I needed for my refresher course... thanks

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bumping this back up because it's just great information!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back