Choosing Cleanup Crew Critters.

BigRedSpecial

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Case for Emerald Crabs: I know people love to hate them, but I have found a use for them. My tanks and equipment were all becoming completely overrun with red bobble macroalgae; repeated vinegar/bleach soakings for the equipment would free it up for about a week. A single small emerald and manual removal had it 95% eradicated in a month, and I haven't seen a single trace in three months now.

An update to this... While the emeralds sit in the old tank, last night I noticed some of the algae is coming back on a piece of rock that had been moved to the new tank. So I'm pretty confident they were the ones eating it.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of that depends on what you need cleaned up.

If your tank is new and you've got diatoms, Nerite, Astrea, and Trochus snails can help. As you start feeding fish and get food settling onto the sand, bring on some Nassarius and brittle stars.

Let your tank tell you what it needs . . .

~Bruce

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My first mini-brittle was wrapped around a frag plug that I brought home from a LFS.

Eventually, I think you will have some . . .

~Bruce
That's where mine came from too.

sweendog87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys awsome read newbie here just a question. I have a 40 gallon with a sump on order a planning on a skimmer nice sized refugium hopefully lots of copepods and amphipods to later feed a mandarin and help with maintenance good amount of rocks and marine pure to house nitrafying and de-nitrafying bacteria. Planing on a mixed reef
What do you think would be the ideal DMC
(Dailey Maintenance Crew) for my tank a crew with a variety of jobs that can stick with me
and then i get a CUC the guys that I can throw in and out to help with the outbreaks. I'm hoping to keep my perameters as stable as possible and stay away from have big bad outbreaks in my tank i know we all have them but trying do everything right to fight them before they take hold

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CUC is for daily maintenance. Snails, hermit crabs, bristle worms, urchins etc. can all be a part of invertebrate CUC. Depends what you are looking to do. They all can have pluses and minuses.

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a general rule for how many snails you should have per gallon?
There is an old rule of thumb of 1 snail per gallon, but that's so arbitrary it's kind of silly. One thing is there is a big difference between a dwarf cerith and a Mexican turbo. So considering them the same makes the rule meaningless. The other issue is the tank. There would be a huge difference between what kind of cuc you would use in a ULNS SPS tank and a "dirtier" softy setup or a setup with messy eaters like lionfish.

Best advice I can give is start conservative and add if the tank shows it can support more. Also don't rush to add a bunch of cuc to deal with an outbreak. Most time I've found consistent maintenance and time will suffice.

Reef Tamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic article I have used a variety of snails myself and only use a few hermits I have found if I put some empty shells in My tank it cuts down on the hermits trying to take over my snails shells again wonderful arficle

Thank you

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails to Avoid

Engina mendicaria (Bumblebee Snail)
cucbumblebeeleft.jpg
cucbumblebeeright.jpg

Avoid a large population of Bumble Bee Snails. They are whelks and are predatory on other small snails and worms. One or two in a tank are OK for decorative purposes, but remember if you see them moving up the glass, they are not grazing on the nasty algae…. they are looking for meat.

Margarites pupillus (Margarita Snail)
cucmargaritaleft.jpg
cucmargaritaright.jpg

Another snail to avoid is one commonly present in online cleaner packages and at the LFS, is the Margarita Snail. These critters are from cold water areas and will slowly die in your tank over weeks to months. It doesn’t make a difference how they justify it or if they say there are some are from warmer waters (and of course it’s those they’re trying to sell you), they aren’t. They simply aren’t. So, it’s up to you if you want to place a cold water animal in your warm tank. They do not reproduce in our tanks and they do not lay visible eggs.

Babylonia sp (Fancy Nassarius)
cucbabylonia-1.jpg

Fancy Nassarius, Leopard Nassarius, Speckled Nassarius, no matter which way you say it, it all says the same thing, you’re being mislead. I’m not saying this is always done intentionally, but either way, such as it is. This is a Babylonia sp and they don’t even share the same superfamily! These are predators and they’re wanting to eat the stuff in your tank you paid money for!!! They will eat other snails, when given time.

Haliotis spp (Abalone)
cucabalone-1.jpg

Yes, it’s a snail. Not your average looking snail, but a snail none the less. This beauty lands itself in the “don’t buy” section because it really prefers cooler temps than is found in our tanks. It’s beauty will mostly be out of view as it’s a nocturnal critter and is a master at hiding in crevices.

Pests of Snails

cucpyramid.jpg

Pyramidellidae (Pyramid Snail)

Pyramid snails are not just for clams. I’m sure you have heard it rumored that if you see them on your snails, that variety won’t bother your clams and vice versa. This is one of the rumors that have turned into a fact on the forums, but it simply isn’t true. None of the snails in different studies chose to starve when there was another food item in the tank. They have preferences and will stay on that food item until it is 100% consumed, but then they would move on to another item and so on.

Polycladida (Polyclad Flatworm)

These flatworms cause as much havoc as the pyrams above. They too eat molluscs, which includes our ornamental clams and hard working snails. They are hard to remove as they can fall creating many more flatworms to grow and hunt.

Hermit Crabs

In my opinion, there is no such thing as a reef safe hermit. There are safer choices, but none are to be trusted. With the right variety of snails, you will never need a hermit. How can you trust anything that lives in a cerith, astraea or trochus shell? They are omnivores. That’s not just potatoes folks, that’s meat and potatoes. I know they are listed as herbivores on many sites… I don’t know what to say besides these sites are mistaken.

So, let’s talk about reef-safer hermits.

Scarlet Hermit (Paguristes cadenanti)
This hermit is frequently seen for sale and tends to be a little more expensive. They eat all kinds of algae, but remember he is an omnivore.

Left-handed Hermit (Calcinus laerimanus)
They are often referred to as Micro Hermits, Hawaiian Reef Crabs or the Dwarf Zebra Hermit. They don’t grow as large as the others, making them a safer choice.

Blue-legged Hermit (Clibanarius tricolor)
They really like the greens, but have been known to steal an astraea shell or two.

Buy only what you need and what is appropriate for your tank. They are only one part of solving an algae problem and are more for maintenance than a band-aid to a problem.
Great article. I never had trouble with hermits maybe because I had no more than 2 in large tanks so they were well fed. Maybe just luck but they never bothered any snails. Stayed away from red legged ones as they got too big and aggressive. I also kept extra shells for them. One of the funniest things I saw was one of my hermits picking a shell way too large a trying to use it for 2-3 days. Hilarious seeing him with it on trying to function. Finally went back to the old one.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic article I have used a variety of snails myself and only use a few hermits I have found if I put some empty shells in My tank it cuts down on the hermits trying to take over my snails shells again wonderful arficle

Thank you
Lol I went to the LFS today and my buddy Zack was working I got a brittle star and my scarlet reef crabs had dissapeared so I said to Zack hey bro grab me three scarlets I stikl have a handful of snails left.

I told him a story about a touchus snail that had a cool barnicle on it dang blue legged hermit ate him moved in then 3 days later abandoned ship lol

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails to Avoid

Engina mendicaria (Bumblebee Snail)
cucbumblebeeleft.jpg
cucbumblebeeright.jpg

Avoid a large population of Bumble Bee Snails. They are whelks and are predatory on other small snails and worms. One or two in a tank are OK for decorative purposes, but remember if you see them moving up the glass, they are not grazing on the nasty algae…. they are looking for meat.

Margarites pupillus (Margarita Snail)
cucmargaritaleft.jpg
cucmargaritaright.jpg

Another snail to avoid is one commonly present in online cleaner packages and at the LFS, is the Margarita Snail. These critters are from cold water areas and will slowly die in your tank over weeks to months. It doesn’t make a difference how they justify it or if they say there are some are from warmer waters (and of course it’s those they’re trying to sell you), they aren’t. They simply aren’t. So, it’s up to you if you want to place a cold water animal in your warm tank. They do not reproduce in our tanks and they do not lay visible eggs.

Babylonia sp (Fancy Nassarius)
cucbabylonia-1.jpg

Fancy Nassarius, Leopard Nassarius, Speckled Nassarius, no matter which way you say it, it all says the same thing, you’re being mislead. I’m not saying this is always done intentionally, but either way, such as it is. This is a Babylonia sp and they don’t even share the same superfamily! These are predators and they’re wanting to eat the stuff in your tank you paid money for!!! They will eat other snails, when given time.

Haliotis spp (Abalone)
cucabalone-1.jpg

Yes, it’s a snail. Not your average looking snail, but a snail none the less. This beauty lands itself in the “don’t buy” section because it really prefers cooler temps than is found in our tanks. It’s beauty will mostly be out of view as it’s a nocturnal critter and is a master at hiding in crevices.

Pests of Snails

cucpyramid.jpg

Pyramidellidae (Pyramid Snail)

Pyramid snails are not just for clams. I’m sure you have heard it rumored that if you see them on your snails, that variety won’t bother your clams and vice versa. This is one of the rumors that have turned into a fact on the forums, but it simply isn’t true. None of the snails in different studies chose to starve when there was another food item in the tank. They have preferences and will stay on that food item until it is 100% consumed, but then they would move on to another item and so on.

Polycladida (Polyclad Flatworm)

These flatworms cause as much havoc as the pyrams above. They too eat molluscs, which includes our ornamental clams and hard working snails. They are hard to remove as they can fall creating many more flatworms to grow and hunt.

Hermit Crabs

In my opinion, there is no such thing as a reef safe hermit. There are safer choices, but none are to be trusted. With the right variety of snails, you will never need a hermit. How can you trust anything that lives in a cerith, astraea or trochus shell? They are omnivores. That’s not just potatoes folks, that’s meat and potatoes. I know they are listed as herbivores on many sites… I don’t know what to say besides these sites are mistaken.

So, let’s talk about reef-safer hermits.

Scarlet Hermit (Paguristes cadenanti)
This hermit is frequently seen for sale and tends to be a little more expensive. They eat all kinds of algae, but remember he is an omnivore.

Left-handed Hermit (Calcinus laerimanus)
They are often referred to as Micro Hermits, Hawaiian Reef Crabs or the Dwarf Zebra Hermit. They don’t grow as large as the others, making them a safer choice.

Blue-legged Hermit (Clibanarius tricolor)
They really like the greens, but have been known to steal an astraea shell or two.

Buy only what you need and what is appropriate for your tank. They are only one part of solving an algae problem and are more for maintenance than a band-aid to a problem.
Thank you

Khoi Mai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a lawnmover blenny, 4 hermit and 1 emerald crab in my 20 gallons. Not sure which type of hermit I got. 1 is getting big and all swapped shells. my birdnest lost polyps in bottom part not sure why or if the hermit is hungry and eat it.( my tank has no fish now so I only do flakes once a week)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 61 55.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.3%
Back