OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Limpets pretty much appear in all of my tanks at some point and I'm happy to see them. They can be a bit of a pain if you have acrylic panels, because you have to be a little more careful when cleaning, yet if you keep your panels clean they will hang on the rock more than the sides.

spidercrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like mexican turbos or zebra snails. They get large enough to eat the filamentous algaes and do a good job in combo with turbo or astrae.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love this article! Super helpful info!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article! I've given upon hermits and am trying to go all snail in my 12g nano. I've lost a few trocchus soon after putting them in the tank. Today went to the LFS to get some Astraea snails and they tried to sell me 10. For a 12g nano. I took 3 and probably won't go back there. Sheesh.

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lionfishlair would love input. 28G I've only had this tank up for 3 months so it may just be timing. I have (all small) 10 cerith, 10 tiny dwarf blue leg hermits, 10 nassarius, 6 turbo and 2 scarlet hermits. So far- only
One turbo lost, Scarelt's happily munch on sand (algae), and I've had a huge outbreak of small snails suddenly appear I think they are cerith but I don't know if they breed in a tank. Anyway so far everything is cohabiting, eating and not wrecking havoc. Maybe it's a matter of time...?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lionfishlair would love input. 28G I've only had this tank up for 3 months so it may just be timing. I have (all small) 10 cerith, 10 tiny dwarf blue leg hermits, 10 nassarius, 6 turbo and 2 scarlet hermits. So far- only
One turbo lost, Scarelt's happily munch on sand (algae), and I've had a huge outbreak of small snails suddenly appear I think they are cerith but I don't know if they breed in a tank. Anyway so far everything is cohabiting, eating and not wrecking havoc. Maybe it's a matter of time...?
You might start having issues when the hermits start outgrowing their shells. They'll go after any snail that tips over. The turbo snails can't right themselves and I've lost quite a few to hermits. Good luck!

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wonder if they are rissoids.

rissoid-right.jpg
rissoid-left.jpg

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1481433360.311116.jpg
IMG_1481433371.332010.jpg

So I managed to get one out of the tank got about 20 of these roaming around super small and dig into the sand.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about green emerald
crabs?

I don't consider them much of a clean up crew, to be honest. They're omnivores, so always keep that in mind. Mine was a little thief and was constantly stealing chunks of food from the coral.

kenny80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very informative! Iv had no problems as yet with my hermits taking snails and I supply them with empty shells, however, I do have trouble keeping some snails alive. I find them on their backs and so I right them but they seem very weak and fall over and die, only then do the hermits and shrimp move in. I cant remember what species they are. Are there any snails that help with red algae?

kenny80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very informative! Iv had no problems as yet with my hermits taking snails and I supply them with empty shells, however, I do have trouble keeping some snails alive. I find them on their backs and so I right them but they seem very weak and fall over and die, only then do the hermits and shrimp move in. I cant remember what species they are. Are there any snails that help with red algae?
1481498388039.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back