Good source for Cleanup Crew

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't replenished my cleanup crew in ages and looking at a good source at reasonable price for a cleanup crew. I can see that my rocks getting quite full with algae. Nutrients are low, so figure I just need a good cleanup crew. In the past I ordered from live aquaria and felt they are overpriced, and some of the snails were so tiny!

I found this place online "reefcleaners.org" and was going to place an order, but never heard of them before... anyone has positive experience with this source?

Also, the tank is 220 gal. I was going to go with 100 gal worth, so half, as I also read that it can cause other issues if you have too many cleanup crew with increased No3 and Po4. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Attila

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used reef cleaners for years, I generally get a new crew each year. John is quick with email responses and will answer any question you have.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get mine mostly from my lfs which are kept in a fishless system. I have ordered from Reef Cleaners for some specific things. Very pleased with what I got in. On this forum, Reef Cleaners seems to be the most popular go to.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef cleaners is average at best. Their shipping method is terrible resulting in dead cleaners. Saltwateraquarium.com far exceeds them both in quality and expert shipping.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used reef cleaners twice and both times I've had more DOA than survivors. One overnight and one priority neither made a difference. For reference I live 2 hours away from the place. The cheap prices got me both times. Lesson learned I guess. And the snails that did survive are tiny. Both times the time or effort to contact them wasn't worth it to me as I've read stories here about the hassle to get something for DOA's. I'm sure there are plenty of good outcomes but the service isn't for me.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used reef cleaners twice and both times I've had more DOA than survivors. One overnight and one priority neither made a difference. For reference I live 2 hours away from the place. The cheap prices got me both times. Lesson learned I guess. And the snails that did survive are tiny. Both times the time or effort to contact them wasn't worth it to me as I've read stories here about the hassle to get something for DOA's. I'm sure there are plenty of good outcomes but the service isn't for me.
Agreed, similar scenario for me too. Saltwateraquarium.com individually packaged the inverts in separate plastic containers. They were all large and healthy with no DOA at all.

Zerodameaon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave Saltwateraquarium.com a try this time around and I am quite impressed with their shipping and packing. The air filled packages were nice to work with, made it really easy to temp acclimate without the bags trying to sink to the bottom of my sump. Everything was alive and started moving within about half an hour.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave Saltwateraquarium.com a try this time around and I am quite impressed with their shipping and packing. The air filled packages were nice to work with, made it really easy to temp acclimate without the bags trying to sink to the bottom of my sump. Everything was alive and started moving within about half an hour.
Yup. I had the same experience. Limited selection, but enough for what we need.

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the quick responses and providing the experience you had... this is extremely helpful! never heard of reeftopia so will check them out for sure. Right now I am leaning toward saltwateraquarium.com - based on the positive feedback on their shipping, especially now as the colder weather is hitting us.

I will tell you this is the best place to come to for advise :)

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my order from Blue Zoo Aquatics just came in .. all alive as far as I can tell and came with a free drip line and some free food lol.

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my order from Blue Zoo Aquatics just came in .. all alive as far as I can tell and came with a free drip line and some free food lol.
Thanks for sharing. Funny, I did place an order a few weeks ago with saltwateraquarium.com as most gave it a great review. The reviews were correct - packaged great, labeled... but many were DOA. I did not report to them... but will consider to try other sources now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back