Choosing the Right Auto Top-Off System for Your New Tank: Tunze Osmolator vs. Red Sea Reef ATO+ and Beyond

LiLinka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to selecting the ideal auto top-off (ATO) system for your new tank, the debate between the Tunze Osmolator and the Red Sea Reef ATO+ has sparked various opinions within the reefing community. Both systems offer unique features and benefits. The Tunze Osmolator is praised for its reliability and accurate water level detection, making it a favorite among reef enthusiasts who prioritize precision. On the other hand, the Red Sea Reef ATO+ is applauded for its ease of setup and compatibility with Red Sea tanks. However, success stories extend beyond these two options. Many hobbyists have also found satisfaction with alternative ATO systems, such as the Neptune Systems ATK or the IceCap ATO. As you dive into this engaging discussion, consider factors like ease of maintenance, tank compatibility, and your personal preferences. Share your experiences and join the conversation to help fellow reefkeepers make an informed choice for their aquatic havens!"

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze (supposedly) has a new Osmolater coming out, which will most likely end up being next year for most of us mere mortals.

If you have a bunch of Red Sea gear, the Red Sea ATO makes sense. Apex controller, the Neptune ATK. Tunze if you don't have a lot invested in either camp.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 3155 is the gold standard. Redsea ATO is not.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure there is another more reliable and universally respected piece of equipment in the hobby.

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personal preference, you say blue I say navy. I think we settle into names or brands that have historically worked us. Some might not like the brand of oil I use in my bikes and cars. I have never had an oil related issue, so why fix what ain't broke. I saved the 3155 when I moved, very likely will use it on the next tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back