Chorine and Hydrogen Peroxide

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I had a light green swimming pool with an afternoon party so I shocked the pool hard with chlorine. An hour later when it was clear I poured in 2 liters of Hydrogen Peroxide to gas off the chlorine for guest comfort. It looked like shaken soda water for ten minutes. It also scoured the pool liner of green.

I am currently bleaching my live rock to death. Too many problems and diseases. Do I just rinse it and use water conditioners or can I use the Peroxide to actively rid the chlorine. Pool peroxide is 30% I think, not the 3% like in the little brown bottle from the medicine cabinet.

Thank You,
Mark

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I had a light green swimming pool with an afternoon party so I shocked the pool hard with chlorine. An hour later when it was clear I poured in 2 liters of Hydrogen Peroxide to gas off the chlorine for guest comfort. It looked like shaken soda water for ten minutes. It also scoured the pool liner of green.

I am currently bleaching my live rock to death. Too many problems and diseases. Do I just rinse it and use water conditioners or can I use the Peroxide to actively rid the chlorine. Pool peroxide is 30% I think, not the 3% like in the little brown bottle from the medicine cabinet.

Thank You,
Mark
As long as you are using plain old bleach and not one that's scented, "splashless", etc, just rinse the rocks off in tap water when you take them out of the bleach and let them dry. Chlorine in bleach only lasts about a day once it's in contact with air and light (that's why pools use stabilizer).
Since you have a pool, I assume you have a chlorine test kit. If you want to be sure the rocks are free of chlorine, you can put them in a bucket of RODI and test.

OP
OP
Mark Novack

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thinking mate! I do have a chlorine test kit! Its like a Hanna electric tester. And strips and drops. I like working on the pool. Its my wife's toy for swimming and mine for tinkering. Were it indoors it would probably be a swim in reef pool.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thinking mate! I do have a chlorine test kit! Its like a Hanna electric tester. And strips and drops. I like working on the pool. Its my wife's toy for swimming and mine for tinkering. Were it indoors it would probably be a swim in reef pool.
I have some strips that I use to test the water coming out of my carbon on my RODI unit when it's getting close to time to replace. Don't want chlorine in the membrane.

OP
OP
Mark Novack

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another fine idea! Replace my membrane and discharge valve before I fill the tank afresh. There is too much production to waste ratio. The membrane probably dried out after 3 months of non use. With only my little tank functioning I made one large container of water that lasted a long time. I should have turned it on for a minute each week.

Back