Bacteria bloom?

KA3RE_K9

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 16, 2025
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Edmonton, AB
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've recently been dealing with what my local fish store ID'd as a bacterial bloom. It's taking over the highest rock in my 25g waterbox. It's noticeably worse on the one rock that wasn't live when I started the tank.

They recommended trying a dose of hydrogen peroxide and then repopulating bacteria with a product of their own that's supposed to contain all the kinds of beneficial bacteria. They're knowledgeable but it didn't super inspire confidence that they couldn't 100% ID it and seemed to be a bit unsure.

Any insight on this would be super appreciated.
1000019174.jpg


It's kinda flowy and blows around a bunch from my power head. It can be scrubbed off but comes back reasonably quickly. It's a translucent red brown colour.

Any help is much appreciated, including what everyone thinks is a safe dosage for hydrogen peroxide should I end up going that route :)
 
I had the same-looking bacteria when my tank was a few months old. I used Purigen, UV, and manual cleaning, and it resolved on its own over time.
 
I had the same-looking bacteria when my tank was a few months old. I used Purigen, UV, and manual cleaning, and it resolved on its own over time.
Ok awesome! Do you think the UV is necessary? I am a bit short on space in the back chambers.
 
Ok awesome! Do you think the UV is necessary? I am a bit short on space in the back chambers.
Not necessary at all, but it helps keep my water clearer. The main thing is that it gives me peace of mind knowing I have some buffer if any disease or pathogen is lurking around.
 
How old is your tank?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 54 34.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new