Christmas Tree Coral

Ewelina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Christmas Tree Coral seems to have some "brown hair (algae?)" stuck to it. What could be the reason for it and what should I do about it? I should add that last week I had some algae on my tank, but it's long gone (I think the snails did an awesome job)
15295902528883218237751635684659.jpg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell from the picture. Where is it located?

Judging from the rock this is a fairly new set up? If so algae coming and going will be a reality for a while. Keep up your good husbandry and stable parameters and it will eventually subside.

The worms look happy. Keeping the host coral healthy is important though I have read reports of the worms surviving even when the host coral did not.

OP
OP
Ewelina

Ewelina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell from the picture. Where is it located?

Judging from the rock this is a fairly new set up? If so algae coming and going will be a reality for a while. Keep up your good husbandry and stable parameters and it will eventually subside.

The worms look happy. Keeping the host coral healthy is important though I have read reports of the worms surviving even when the host coral did not.
Yes, it's a new set up. I can see some algae but the only one I'm really worried is the one on this coral. I circled it on the picture- I had a hard time taking a good pic, so my apologies.
20180621_133205.jpg
20180621_133205.jpg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see now. I thought that was one of the fan worms. It does look like a small area of tissue loss. Keep an eye on it. As long as it doesn't enlarge it should be ok.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, but difficult to keep coral. Because the fan worms are filter feeders of very fine planktonic organisms, you will be hard-pressed to keep it healthy in your tank. Porites corals themselves can also be problematic. They need lots of random flow and need to be carefully acclimated to your lights.

hth

OP
OP
Ewelina

Ewelina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, but difficult to keep coral. Because the fan worms are filter feeders of very fine planktonic organisms, you will be hard-pressed to keep it healthy in your tank. Porites corals themselves can also be problematic. They need lots of random flow and need to be carefully acclimated to your lights.

hth
They seem to be doing well with lights. I try to keep them about 80% blue and 20% white. What would you suggest I should feed it though?

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI that is NOT a Christmas tree coral. That is a porites coral with christmas tree worms. Also called christmas tree worm rocks. There is a soft coral called christmas tree coral. Just might help when looking for information.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Christmas Tree Coral seems to have some "brown hair (algae?)" stuck to it. What could be the reason for it and what should I do about it? I should add that last week I had some algae on my tank, but it's long gone (I think the snails did an awesome job)
15295902528883218237751635684659.jpg
Where you get that. I haven't seen those . I would buy it if my LFS had them

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try reefroids/reef chili/rotifers/cyclops/etc. Just be careful to not pollute your tank with the excess nutrients

OP
OP
Ewelina

Ewelina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI that is NOT a Christmas tree coral. That is a porites coral with christmas tree worms. Also called christmas tree worm rocks. There is a soft coral called christmas tree coral. Just might help when looking for information.
Oh, thanks! Didn't know that!

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is ports coral, an sps. Lots of folks would say to feed it amino acids. The worms also need to eat. I would probably go with a fine filter feeder food for those.

OP
OP
Ewelina

Ewelina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is ports coral, an sps. Lots of folks would say to feed it amino acids. The worms also need to eat. I would probably go with a fine filter feeder food for those.
I'll try phyto plankton for the worms. I hope they'll like it!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back