OP
OP
D

desertchill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for all of this to you, but Welcome to Reef 2 Reef, you will get answers here!
I hate buying fish on line, I would fight with LA, and their guarantee.
What’s done is done!
I had to plug any gaps around the returns and overflow. One Chromis made 6 trips threw to the sump.
Good Luck! Don’t give up or in, get even, be determined!
Thanks - yes - lots of great help already! LA has been great about the refunds - no complaints. I wish I had a LFS to deal with though.

Haha.. over the falls again and again. I cut pieces of window screen and used putty to attach it to the outside of the overflow notches - works great with the added benefit of keeping larger debris from going through.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found another thread with a similar story: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/chromis-with-uronema-i-think-now-what.332935/. The pic in this post looks similar to all of the ones I've had that have died.

The post from @Colby Johnson was encouraging - a different opinion: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/chromis-with-uronema-i-think-now-what.332935/#post-4145168

"Contrary to popular belief, if you have Uronema in your tank you do not need to "break everything down, sterilize and start over", that will just result in a lot of wasted time and effort! Uronemids are ubiquitous opportunistic ectoparasites that are present in every single tank. I have had many people tell me there is no way it is in their tank, and I have found it in every single one of their tanks through baiting."

Anyone else share this opinion?

I wouldn't disagree that you may keep an asymptomatic tank with Uronema marinum and I don't think you MUST sterilize. However, it is the only known way of eliminating the risk of reinfection. We know we can keep asymptomatic tanks with ich for example.

I would like to see the data supporting the claim that it is present in every single tank (I'd also be curious to learn how one "baits" a protozoan). Without a doubt, our tanks may be host to many different marine ciliates, possibly even different scutociliates.

Lastly, in the strict sense, uronema is not an ectoparasite as its ability of a localized internal infection of organs and tissue has been sufficiently documented.

OP
OP
D

desertchill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't disagree that you may keep an asymptomatic tank with Uronema marinum and I don't think you MUST sterilize. However, it is the only known way of eliminating the risk of reinfection. We know we can keep asymptomatic tanks with ich for example.

I would like to see the data supporting the claim that it is present in every single tank (I'd also be curious to learn how one "baits" a protozoan). Without a doubt, our tanks may be host to many different marine ciliates, possibly even different scutociliates.

Lastly, in the strict sense, uronema is not an ectoparasite as its ability of a localized internal infection of organs and tissue has been sufficiently documented.
Thanks again. This is why I started this thread - I've read so many differing suggestions now. And, with something as costly and time consuming (and depressing) as a complete tear down and start over, I'd like to be as sure as possible that it's necessary.

It's interesting that you mention the part about it causing an internal infection too. When I look closely at the infected Chromis, it actually appears that the red marks are starting internally vs. externally - i.e. it looks more like a bruise from inside than an open wound on the skin.

OP
OP
D

desertchill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am updating this thread almost 3 months later, hoping it might help anyone who has a similar issue in the future.

I did not tear down my tank, sanitize, and start over, which was suggested as the only way to get rid of a Uronema infection. 2 out of 6 chromis survived, and they are doing great. I have since added several more fish: 2 clowns, 1 royal gramma, and 1 algae blenny, and they are also doing fine. I also added a CUC consisting of 10 hermits and 10 snails, which are all doing well and helping to keep the ugly phase under control.

I am not sure whether or not the chromis that died had Uronema. I have since read more opinions that say they are just generally fragile shippers, and get very stressed from the shipment and acclimation process. The red spots, which appeared to be more internal than external, could have just been infection caused by weakened systems from the stress.

Alternatively, it could be that uronema is present in most tanks as suggested in other threads here, and it affects chromis more than other fish because they are so easily stressed. If the tank is otherwise healthy and stable, and the fish are not stressed, they are able to resist uronema infection.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice here.

SurfLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am updating this thread almost 3 months later, hoping it might help anyone who has a similar issue in the future.

I did not tear down my tank, sanitize, and start over, which was suggested as the only way to get rid of a Uronema infection. 2 out of 6 chromis survived, and they are doing great. I have since added several more fish: 2 clowns, 1 royal gramma, and 1 algae blenny, and they are also doing fine. I also added a CUC consisting of 10 hermits and 10 snails, which are all doing well and helping to keep the ugly phase under control.

I am not sure whether or not the chromis that died had Uronema. I have since read more opinions that say they are just generally fragile shippers, and get very stressed from the shipment and acclimation process. The red spots, which appeared to be more internal than external, could have just been infection caused by weakened systems from the stress.

Alternatively, it could be that uronema is present in most tanks as suggested in other threads here, and it affects chromis more than other fish because they are so easily stressed. If the tank is otherwise healthy and stable, and the fish are not stressed, they are able to resist uronema infection.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice here.

Just happy to hear you have not given up. Good luck.

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your tank doing now? I would love an update. I believe I have a chromis (which I have had for over 1 year with no symptoms) start showing symptoms of uronema. I’m hoping I don’t have to tear down my well established display. I’m not even sure how I would do it.

OP
OP
D

desertchill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jk_s124: Sorry for the late reply. My tank is still doing well a year later, and I didn't have to tear down and restart. I've added several more fish, and they're all thriving: 2 yellow tangs, a pearlscale butterfly, and a bluehead wrasse. None of these or the others added after the chromis have any signs of Uronema. My 2 chromis that survived ended up going blind and then dying, most likely from starvation. I understand blindness is another common problem with Chromis. So, no more chromis for me!

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow this gives me hope. i QT'ed 2 chromis as mytt first first. one died, the other made it to my DT. 3 weeks later, i believe it got Uronema. I ended up going the nuclear option and tearing it all down, but i can never be 100% sure that I sterilized everything. i believe i did, but at least if I didn't, I know that its possible to maintain a tank even after having Uronema

revco33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lost 5 chromis to this uronema crap. I got a microscope to inspect the other fish in QT to see if i knocked it out of the park. yellow tang, star blenny, and mandarin were left. I bathed the good fish, not those crappy chromis, in a rid ich plus for 90 minutes. Then moved to brand new and bleached cleaned QT. I began CP and metro/focus. It's been 8 days and I've been constantly pulling samples of their poo. No sign of it. I will continue for maybe another week. I've tested multiple times on leftover mysis and what i suspect was poo. Nothing. Nata. QT is a must, but from what I've read up on the subject... uronema doesn't affect other fish so easily. My other fish never got a red streak on the side. They hide, but otherwise seem good to go. Avoid buying chromis. Or buy and keep them in their own tank with nothing in it. You don't want a full on coral farm happening in your tank and then you get it. Most likely you will be fine, but just knowing it's there sucks. Glad it didn't make it into my DT. I did get ICH like back in july. I had to QT my clowns and watchman goby for 70 some odd days. it sucked. big time.

Back