Chromis Damsel almost dying? MANY missing scales on bith sides and NOT uronema (i believe)

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok…. I will wait 1 hour MAX to see if @Jay Hemdal or @vetteguy53081 give the green light in PRIME (only thing i have right now…..)

if no response i will just add the prime and hope for the best
I would do some research on if prime can be used with kanaplex, I know it cannot be used with some copper and mixing meds can be dangerous

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok…. I will wait 1 hour MAX to see if @Jay Hemdal or @vetteguy53081 give the green light in PRIME (only thing i have right now…..)

if no response i will just add the prime and hope for the best
I think you don’t need to wait to add prime, just meant wait for the water change.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
@Jay Hemdal emergency!

my amonia levels rised today to 1.5ppm (salifert) and on tuesday they were at 0.5ppm

Nitrite is at 0.25 (salifert) on tuesday they were at 0.5ppm

Nitrate is at 10ppm (salifert) tuesday it was 15ppm…

ph is 7.8 (kind of low)
Temp is 28.2

VERY CONCERNED ON AMMONIA LEVELS… the last bengai cardinal woke up stuck to the very low powered power head (he hadnt been eating quite well)….. rest of the fish seem fine… see pics

should i just forget the water change tomorrow and do it today? Or do you think they might resist till tomorrow so that the kanaplex dosed yesterday has a chance to act the 2 full days?

i can also dose PRIME (seachem) as i do not have AmQuel….. could that work while we wait for water change tomorrow? Or should i just do the water change now?
Ammonia has crept up with the fish and while elevated may not be lethal. If you tested within 8-12 hours of water change, level may be lower than you are seeing.
Kanaplex will take a full day to start working and getting absorbed by the fish. Prime- forget it. . . it will lock up the ammonia but Not remove it and is an alternative - Not a solution

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia has crept up with the fish and while elevated may not be lethal. If you tested within 8-12 hours of water change, level may be lower than you are seeing.
Kanaplex will take a full day to start working and getting absorbed by the fish. Prime- forget it. . . it will lock up the ammonia but Not remove it and is an alternative - Not a solution
I think he is roughly 24 hours into his 3rd dose of kanaplex, is he good to do a water change because of ammonia or would that mess with the treatment?

Edit: just to clarify, he has not done a water change yet as he’s concerned it will mess with the treatment

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Oh….. got it. Unfortunatley i dosed kanaplex today as I read the post AFTER dosing…. It is currently 1am locally so unable to do anithing about it now… should I do a mayor water change in the morning? According to the kanaplex bix its supposed to not harm the beneficial bacteria but at this point every single advice you have guven me has worked 100%….

if the water change is a green light…. How much would you do it? 20%? 50%?
Should i dose beneficial bacteria? (i have seachem stability and red sea nitrobac on hand…) i have seen better results with stability but i am all ears…. @Jay Hemdal
If you can, take a water sample to an LFS that does not use Api testing and see what they come up with for ammonia.
If above .35, do a 20% change this evening, and 20% tomorrow morning and evening. For today, dont worry about addition of lkanaplex but tomorrw after the evening change- add kanaplex and assure there is added oxygen.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal emergency!

my amonia levels rised today to 1.5ppm (salifert) and on tuesday they were at 0.5ppm

Nitrite is at 0.25 (salifert) on tuesday they were at 0.5ppm

Nitrate is at 10ppm (salifert) tuesday it was 15ppm…

ph is 7.8 (kind of low)
Temp is 28.2

VERY CONCERNED ON AMMONIA LEVELS… the last bengai cardinal woke up stuck to the very low powered power head (he hadnt been eating quite well)….. rest of the fish seem fine… see pics

should i just forget the water change tomorrow and do it today? Or do you think they might resist till tomorrow so that the kanaplex dosed yesterday has a chance to act the 2 full days?

i can also dose PRIME (seachem) as i do not have AmQuel….. could that work while we wait for water change tomorrow? Or should i just do the water change now?

To break this down:

the low pH level is actually helping to reduce the toxicity of the ammonia, so don't try to raise it.

Don't worry about the nitrite or nitrate.

1.5 ppm ammonia is of course, very high.

I think you should do a 50% water change today - bear in mind though, that a weird thing can happen; if you change 50% of the water, the ammonia is only going to drop to .75, The pH though, may bounce to 8.1 - making the .75 level of ammonia actually MORE toxic to the fish than the 1.5 reading was at the lower pH! Additionally, the ammonia is going to continue to rise. I've seen people do a 50% water change on a tank and be right back to 1.5 ammonia in 12 to 24 hours.

There is some discussion as to if Prime really does what it says it does, but I would add it after the water change, as it isn't going to hurt.

Good Luck!

Jay

OP
OP
daniel_mourra

daniel_mourra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t panic, I just noticed you said you have prime. Dose that, from my understanding it should help bind up some of the ammonia.

If nothing else available, I would suggest making your water change today as 1.5ammonia is definitely on the toxic side of things. Please wait for confirmation from @Jay Hemdal though as I don’t want to screw up the course of medication treatment.
To break this down:

the low pH level is actually helping to reduce the toxicity of the ammonia, so don't try to raise it.

Don't worry about the nitrite or nitrate.

1.5 ppm ammonia is of course, very high.

I think you should do a 50% water change today - bear in mind though, that a weird thing can happen; if you change 50% of the water, the ammonia is only going to drop to .75, The pH though, may bounce to 8.1 - making the .75 level of ammonia actually MORE toxic to the fish than the 1.5 reading was at the lower pH! Additionally, the ammonia is going to continue to rise. I've seen people do a 50% water change on a tank and be right back to 1.5 ammonia in 12 to 24 hours.

There is some discussion as to if Prime really does what it says it does, but I would add it after the water change, as it isn't going to hurt.

Good Luck!

Jay
Perfecto!

@Jay Hemdal do the 50% change tonight as soon as i get back home and add prime afterwards… ive personally seen it work wonders in freshwater (although it only lock ammonia for 24 hrs…) its a “holding measure” while bacteria do their job….

@vetteguy53081 i cannot do a test in LFS as there are no LFS that provide that service in mu country…. I am only left with SALIFERT amonia test… also kannaplex treatment is done since yesterday so basically no more kannaplex is required (did 3 doses in 6 days as per instructions). Damsel is getting better so no more kanaplex is required.

@C4ctus99 yes! I was concerned about the water change stoping the treatment but i have now a clear path… @Jay Hemdal recomended 50% water change today and its true… stoping kannaplex wont kill them…. Amonia will…

@Jay Hemdal regarding the possibility of ph rising… totally understood. Now to avoid that could i do another water change maybe 3-4 days after the one today or would that be to much stress on the fish?

OP
OP
daniel_mourra

daniel_mourra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
Status update!!!
Did 50% water change. Unfortunatley i had to mix two kinds of salts (Instant Ocean Purple Box and Red sea coral Pro 1:1 ratio) as I ran out of the Instant Ocean which is what I use for the QT tanks and only had red sea coral pro (for main DT) available.

Salinity stabilized 1.023
Temp new water 28
Temp old water 28
Changed 50%

DOSED 10mL of Prime to bind and detoxify amonia..

after 2 hours new parameters read:
ph Before change: 7.8
Ph Now: 7.97 (I would say 8.0) (han

amonia before: 1.5 ppm (salifert)
Amonia now: 0.5 ppm (salifert)

ALSO ADDED A SECOND HOB FILTER (SEACHEM TIDAL 35) to the TIDAL 75 already installed to increase biofilter. This new filter had MATRIX BIOMEDIA that was already seated from a FRESHWATER tank…. I dont know if that beneficial bacteria will survive the jump to saltwater but i figured it cant hurt….

added 12mL STABILITY (bacteria) to this filter to reinforce…

hope all this helps…. Now with 2 HOB filters… small wavemaker pointed at surface is it still necesary to have the extra air stones? No more kannaplex will be added so when could i remove those? Or should i leave them?

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
Status update!!!
Did 50% water change. Unfortunatley i had to mix two kinds of salts (Instant Ocean Purple Box and Red sea coral Pro 1:1 ratio) as I ran out of the Instant Ocean which is what I use for the QT tanks and only had red sea coral pro (for main DT) available.

Temp new water 28
Temp old water 28
Changed 50%

ALSO ADDED A SECOND HOB FILTER (SEACHEM TIDAL 35) to the TIDAL 75 already installed to increase biofilter. This new filter had MATRIX BIOMEDIA that was already seated from a FRESHWATER tank…. I dont know if that beneficial bacteria will survive the jump to saltwater but i figured it cant hurt….

hope all this helps…. Now with 2 HOB filters… small wavemaker pointed at surface is it still necesary to have the extra air stones? No more kannaplex will be added so when could i remove those? Or should i leave them?
Can’t hurt to leave them… just helps with surface oxygen exchange

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
Status update!!!

Temp new water 28
Temp old water 28
Changed 50%

Mixing salt brands won't be an issue.

Air stones at the bottom of the tank are better at aerating water than surface agitation is.

Tough to say how much bacteria will survive going from FW to SW, some will.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back