Chromis fighting

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the fish. That tail lesion is exactly how I've seen uronema start on them every time. At that point there's nothing to be done - the disease has already begun to eat the fish's muscle.

As for aggression...
It may settle, it may worsen, but they'll only be aggressive to each other.
Oh if only this were true! If you manage to get some without uronema and they get full size (3-4 inches) and are male they will start staking off spots in the tank. You can tell it's happening when they start wiggling against the rocks. At this point they are only interested in making little fish and will attack anything that goes near their spot and isn't a pretty lady chromis. They will still attack each other more - but they attack everything else too.\

Edit: I have three currently that I have had for over a year. 2 large males and a much smaller female. The males harassed the female into a corner up until the very moment they got horny and now they fight each other for her attention. You CAN keep groups of them but you have to get through that juvenile stage. I'm not entirely convinced that some of those stories of them being picked off one at a time aren't just cases of uronema slowly killing them off. Also success might depend on your gender ratio and how large the fish are when you get them. They need to be large enough to be able to survive being forced to hide for a week at a time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the tips but it sounds kinda dumb to get them if you have a great chance of getting them with urenoma I’d rather find better fish that are active and pretty to look at that’s not as difficult to keep.

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Uronema aside, I feel in my humble opinion, Chromis and Anthias are grossly underfed in our tanks which leads to aggression as well as overall health.

These are such beautiful fish when they shoal. I was listening to a BRS podcast about multiple feedings per day to simulate how these fish eat on a reef which also reduces aggression.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the fish. That tail lesion is exactly how I've seen uronema start on them every time. At that point there's nothing to be done - the disease has already begun to eat the fish's muscle.

As for aggression...

Oh if only this were true! If you manage to get some without uronema and they get full size (3-4 inches) and are male they will start staking off spots in the tank. You can tell it's happening when they start wiggling against the rocks. At this point they are only interested in making little fish and will attack anything that goes near their spot and isn't a pretty lady chromis. They will still attack each other more - but they attack everything else too.\

Edit: I have three currently that I have had for over a year. 2 large males and a much smaller female. The males harassed the female into a corner up until the very moment they got horny and now they fight each other for her attention. You CAN keep groups of them but you have to get through that juvenile stage. I'm not entirely convinced that some of those stories of them being picked off one at a time aren't just cases of uronema slowly killing them off. Also success might depend on your gender ratio and how large the fish are when you get them. They need to be large enough to be able to survive being forced to hide for a week at a time.
I had them spawn in my tank a few times. Till the my maroon killed them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is better I think!
Those look like war injury marks/bite marks and the aggressor needs to be identified and removed or will result in death. Safe for chromis would be ruby rally pro which will protect fish from infection

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ruby rally doesn't do anything for internal uronema.
This is damage and Not internal uronema. I know what uronema looks like and what else is present with uronema which is NOT present.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard if you have a couple of large fish like a Tang, Angels, and Rabbit fish, Chromis won't kill each other off, as they only do it when they know nothing will bother them.

But i think your tank is too small for tangs, angels, and rabbit's.

Ive seen many a few tanks with like 6 chromis but they also had large tangs which kept the chromis's all in check.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I heard if you have a couple of large fish like a Tang, Angels, and Rabbit fish, Chromis won't kill each other off, as they only do it when they know nothing will bother them.

But i think your tank is too small for tangs, angels, and rabbit's.

Ive seen many a few tanks with like 6 chromis but they also had large tangs which kept the chromis's all in check.
Actually no in some cases. I have many large fish and now 26 tangs and the chromis always were at chase and battle

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually no in some cases. I have many large fish and now 26 tangs and the chromis always were at chase and battle
How long did this take for them to start doing that? Ive got a group of 3 in my 70 for about a year and no issues with them. I do watch them like a hawk for aggression, havnt seen any aside from my maroon female swimming in the middle of their group to watch them scatter. I swear she gets a kick out of it!

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept 7 chromis for over 5 years, and just recently lost one so I am down to 6.
It is recommended to keep 6 or more to keep the aggression down. They are relatively peaceful, but have a pecking order and quibble between themselves. They do not bother other fish, but if they spawn, the male will guard his eggs and chase whoever come too close. They spawn quite often in my tank.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They also hate even numbers. Having those almost guarantees one dies soon. Those fish are ******s to one another. Get a lyre tail

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema aside, I feel in my humble opinion, Chromis and Anthias are grossly underfed in our tanks which leads to aggression as well as overall health.

These are such beautiful fish when they shoal. I was listening to a BRS podcast about multiple feedings per day to simulate how these fish eat on a reef which also reduces aggression.
BRS also grew out a tabling acro for them to hide. That is some high level stuff.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh dayam...

I wanted to have a school of them as well, i guess thats out of the picture.
I do have a single one, and its been quite happy by itself.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How long did this take for them to start doing that? Ive got a group of 3 in my 70 for about a year and no issues with them. I do watch them like a hawk for aggression, havnt seen any aside from my maroon female swimming in the middle of their group to watch them scatter. I swear she gets a kick out of it!
5-6 months

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back