Chromis issues - Tails and scales

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should post those questions in the "new reef forum" here - I'm more of a fish disease person, you wouldn't want to see my reef tank (grin).

Jay

OP
OP
B

bluedesertfalcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,
Need your expert opinion please about two fish in my main tank.

Clownfish: Eating well and active at feeding time. But at non feeding time, it seems to just float around then swim then float around. I also notice it having a somewhat round/full belly. And yesterday it was going to surface of water every now and then and sticking it's mouth out right next to a high water flow area.

Yellow Wrasse (one with the black dots): He seems to make sudden jerky movements or turnarounds and then go back to swimming normal. Then again same thing after sometime. And I also noticed his one eye is a bit cloudy.

Other fish in the tank (one more clown, firefish, flasher wrasse, 3 chromis) all seem normal at least from what I see.

All are eating well.

Please advise what I can do to help my fish.

Thanks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issues with the clown and the wrasse may or may not be related. Is the clown breathing fast? Piping at the surface or into a water jet is something fish do to improve water flow over their gills, same as rapid breathing.
The yellow wrasse could have flukes- flashing and darting can be a sign, as can cloudy eyes. Have these fish been treated with anything yet? Prazipro would be an option.
Jay

OP
OP
B

bluedesertfalcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response.

I did not notice the clown breathing fast. Infact at food time he is very active and eats well. But otherwise seems a little bit of wobbly while swimming if that made sense.

Ok so the wrasse probably has flukes.

No I have not added any medication to my tank. I want to be very careful on this so asking for your opinion.

What do you recommend I treat them with?
And if one fish has flukes, I think it makes sense to assume that all the other will be exposed to it as well.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, all the fish have been exposed to flukes if one has them, but not all fluke species infect all fish. Prazipro, with good aeration, and remove the skimmer collection cup is well tolerated, but it may kill small tube worms. You dose it twice, about a week apart.
Jay

OP
OP
B

bluedesertfalcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I will order the Prazipro and use it immediately and get rid of flukes.

Will it clear the cloudy eye on the wrasse?
Will Prazipro affect Chaeto (to be added soon)? And pods?
Lastly, after Prazipro do I have to add the beneficial bacteria again (BioSpira)?

Sorry for the many questions. But I don't have anyone else to ask..so asking you.

D4jack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 4 chromis. 2 hid in the rocks. I got 2 more now they all hang out together in the open water. They need to be in large numbers to get along. I found this out after doing some investigating of my own.

D4jack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a diatom outbreak in my display tank. It seems to be covering everything and increasing. My tank was setup in me d December so a good 3 month old and the brown stuff started appearing since the last 2-3 weeks.

Can you advise anything...what should I do?

I read so many forums and getting more confused. And what is PO4, GFO etc..

Please advise. Thanks
Get a bag of phosban or phoszorb. I can't remember the name. (Petco) place the bag in a high flow area. (Overflow, cannister or hob filter) leave it for a week. It will absorb the silicates feeding the diatoms. Good luck!

pineappleleaves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not change your water frequently. I do infrequent water changes around 10% and in between just add water as needed. No matter how small your tank is, it does well with infrequent changes. Also ensure you have cleaner crews.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.7%
Back