Chromis Posturing. Is this a Mating Battle?

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Wednesday I picked up three preqauarantined Chromis at WWC. They are quite lively and eat like pigs. For the first three full days they all swam around together. Sort of like three amigos. didn’t last! Today it appears the largest of the three has decided he likes one of the other two and won’t let the third one get close to it. Pretty sure the biggest is trying to keep the other two separated.

Is this a mating issue or just a dominance play as to who is running the group. He won’t let the two smaller ones get close to each other. No big deal yet, just curious what‘s at play here. I’m thinking of getting two more so they actually look like a school of fish.

is it protecting a chosen mate, or just being the boss. I can’t upload videos yet, but the big one is definitely keeping the other two apart.

Jetson
921EE1CE-B372-4CDF-9984-FBA95E354F9C.jpeg
6186FC9C-631D-4CDB-BDD4-303F863440BA.jpeg
702F1C1A-2D23-4144-AF40-20DEFFBC7DF2.jpeg

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine it's just a show of dominance and an attempt to establish the pecking order. One always seems to establish as the leader and they keep pretty busy in my experience. The bottom of the pack gets a pretty raw deal.

Something that's interesting to do is to secretly watch the tank when the fish don't know you're watching and see if the behavior changes or if the aggression minimizes. Most of the aggression is based on when they think you're about to feed them.

And BTW I would definitely do 5 instead of 3. I think 3 is a tougher number. Larger groups are better IME. I've had my group of 5 forever.

Oh yeah.. you mentioned buying prequarantined from WWC. Was that purchase online or in person? I didn't see any quarantined fish options when they launched their online fish sales.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had luck with more than one chromis always end up with just one. Probably bullying
This.

The usual chromis stuff. One will probably be dead at some point. Check out the other two, I bet there is a size difference between them. I Bet you have a sexed pair and the 3rd is odd man out.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah.. you mentioned buying prequarantined from WWC. Was that purchase online or in person? I didn't see any quarantined fish options when they launched their online fish sales.
I watch them from a distance. There is one a little bigger than the other two. It’s starting to look more like he is just keeping them separated. Looks like he has coraled one and is keeping the other away. I may try and get two more.

WWC does not have prequarantined fish for sale ”yet”. They are working on getting it all set up, I believe, in the next few months so they can start offering it. I just got lucky. They had a bunch of Chromis they had quarantined. They were putting them, I think, in the big tank that Casper is in. Nothing gets in that tank without quarantine. They were gracious enough to let me purchase three of them.

Jetson

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to finish the answer. i was at the store in Orlando. Not on line.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped trying to keep more than one after several attempts. Perhaps I'ts me or the environment but I just stopped trying.

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped trying to keep more than one after several attempts. Perhaps I'ts me or the environment but I just stopped trying.
I always expected to have them work their way down to one after hearing this so many times. But it has just never been the case for me.

But I have found them to be extremely fragile in their first couple days though. All my fish go through QT at home and I started eventually buying double the amount I actually wanted since they seemed so weak. These issues aren't due to aggression, but likely very poor conditions from collection through shipping and wholesale process. I've heard they receive some of the most poorest treatment due to their very low value.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had three for over 12 months and they get along fine.

Could have something to do with the three Stocky Anthias who have established that they're the bosses no matter what the Chromis think.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is amazing to watch. The little one, who was being ostracized, has now gotten the upper hand. Now he has the other little one cornered behind him and is keeping the bigger one away from it. Tables have completely turned and now the big one is the outcast. Go shorty! Being of small statue myself, I’m all about this. Here here for the little guy. Hope he wins the girl. (If that’s what this is all about).

Jetson

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back