Chromis schools

Angelwolf21203

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering... I know most of the chromis species are peaceful, both with conspecifics and other community fish. But do the different types school together? As in, a Blue-green Axil, a Vanderbilt, a Blue Reef, and a Lemon chromis? Would they all school together, or would I end up having to buy multiples of each species?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering... I know most of the chromis species are peaceful, both with conspecifics and other community fish. But do the different types school together? As in, a Blue-green Axil, a Vanderbilt, a Blue Reef, and a Lemon chromis? Would they all school together, or would I end up having to buy multiples of each species?

I've never tried mixing them. My experience is like so many others, getting odd numbers of them to only have them die off down to one. Never had any luck with them.

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like any large genus of fish they all have differing needs and tolerances. some will group some won't, some will tolerate others of the same species some won't. In a previous incarnation of my tank I had a number of different species, all in groups of at least 5 along side a group of 20+ green (I think C. viridis). They were C. Vandavelt, a very peaceful small fish, they do not show any within species aggression. Mid-water swimmers that interact rather than 'shoal' easy to keep and feed. Shy in a busy tank. C.Retrofaciatus, the males defend a territory based on a small cave, the females 'visit' the males. Other than the males defending their space I haven't seen any aggression. This species tends to stay near the rocks but isn't shy. Easy to keep and feed. C.Nitida, evil when they mature and fight to the death not one i would recommend. C. Iomelas, these tend to be loners, I had 5 in the tank and they keep to themselves, I haven't seen any aggression but there could be if they were crowded. Easy to keep and feed, mid water swimmers. C. Margaritifer loners tend to be species aggressive, they kept to an area and tended to protect it from others of the same species.

Once they had settled none of them shoaled except the C. vandavelt's (but that may have been stress in the busy tank) the other species did all interact.
I don't think fish can count so I don't think odd or even numbers makes any difference.

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a single green blue chromis today Didn't plan on buying any fish I went to buy something else and found a lone chromis in the tank for 12 dollars. Asked the worker, "what's the deal with these guys anyways?" He said they always get them in groups they always die off until there's one left. He said "thats steve. He's the lone survivor. He's been alone for 3 weeks"

I bought steve.

Maybe these aren't even shoaling fish ?

Last edited:

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a single green blue chromis today Didn't plan on buying any fish I went to buy something else and found a lone chromis in the tank for 12 dollars. Asked the worker, "what's the deal with these guys anyways?" He said they always get them in groups they always die off until there's one left. He said "thats steve. He's the lone survivor. He's been alone for 3 weeks"

I bought steve.

Maybe these aren't even shoaling fish ?

Dear Steve:

tenor.gif

proxy001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents... 10 years ago, I got 6 chromis as my cycling fish. (don't yell at me, thank you).
Well, the bacteria in a bottle worked...
To this day I have 4 left. They tend to stay together. They are extremely territorial and not friendly at all. They always harass new fish that come close to their cave.
1597455719817.jpeg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about some anthias instead for some nice shoaling fish that won't just kill each other?

Mick51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried many times with chromosome and as a lot of people said 6 5 4 3 2... 1 I’ve had luck with the yellow one I have 4 out of 5 for about 1.5 years
CDDD0FCC-7666-4D79-B0A6-B13AE5467C1C.jpeg

blue.flyzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 blue green in my 125, 5 years now, they are very peaceful and always together. I wanted to add more but experts say once the group is established (2 are 3" and the runt is 2") they will not accept new ones, never tried it so can't say if it's true or not.

OP
OP
Angelwolf21203

Angelwolf21203

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, there's the blue/green chromis, and the black axial chromis. They look identical, except for the black speck where their fin meets their body. Basically in the armpit, or the axiallary. They are apparently more social and docile than the blue/green chromis.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried it YET, hbut plan to in my upgrade. I currently have 4 blue/green Chromis that have been together for well over a year and I plan on addig 3 or so Blue Chromis to the new tank. I am not worried about the blue/green Chromis as they would have already offed each other is they were going to do so, but adding the Blue Chromis may change things. I plan on adding them when I introduced the blue/green Chromis to the new tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 84.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.4%
Back