Chromis

Westoncase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone enlighten me on blue/green chromis. I have a 40 breeder and lm looking for 1-2 more fish to add with a pair of clowns, wheelers shrimp goby and a Midas blenny. I never considered chromis until today.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis like clowns are scrappers because they really all are damsel fish. Personally I would not add them to a 40 gallon established with other fish. Check out Royal Grammas or a Flame Hawk.

jaxredsoxfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 in my redsea maxe260 (70g) along with Kole tang, Coral beauty, 3 pajama cardinals, lawnmower blenny. While Tahoe is right they are close to Damsels, I've personally not had aggression with mine. They tend to stick together and stay up in the water column. Almost any fish can be aggressive.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them, they are pretty fish in my opinion. Very hardy, had some before a hip surgery and while i was recovering they just.... Disappeared. Weirdest thing ever. I would like to add more one day though.

OP
OP
Westoncase

Westoncase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis like clowns are scrappers because they really all are damsel fish. Personally I would not add them to a 40 gallon established with other fish. Check out Royal Grammas or a Flame Hawk.

I feel that, I don’t like royal gammas, firefish or cardinals. I do like flame hawk fish, but I want a fire shrimp at some point.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis not uncommonly come in with uronema.
Uronema is bad bad; once it gets into your DT, you won't get rid of it short of a tank teardown and sterilization.
All chromis therefore need to be thoroughly quarantined, with appropriate treatment for uronema (and other diseases.)

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like flame hawk fish, but I want a fire shrimp at some point.

Those two will probably be okay together.
It's true hawks love to ambush shrimps, but mostly smaller stupider ones.

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blah on chromis. As they get older they get more aggressive. If you start with 6 you slowly end up with 5, then 4, then 3... then usually 1. They are active but the colors arent very intense, they look mostly pale green or whiteish IMO. I'd get something more colorful and interesting if I were you.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a small green Chromis would work. Mine murders other Chromis but is pretty harmless to other fish. But my aquarium is larger.

OP
OP
Westoncase

Westoncase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not deadset on chromis, I’m just looking for ideas

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 11 in my display for the last couple years. I feel they do better when they can shoal in numbers. They mix well my anthias, even the 3inch ones are fairly docile.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 130 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back