Chrysiptera springeri aka the Blue Sapphire Damsel

isufishtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I found this particular fish to be quite interesting and was wondering if anyone has any input or advice on them. They are typically considered one of the only damsels to be "peaceful", however I have heard mixed reviews on their supposed lack of aggression. I have a 20g tank and am seriously considering one, however all of my other fish are peaceful and would easily be bullied by an aggressive damsel. Any advice or personal experience is greatly appreciated!

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last addition, but both my short term (months) experience and my understanding from what I've read are consistent with them being quite peaceful tank dwellers.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my frag tank with a couple of clowns and a small tang. It was not aggressive towards the existing fish but was aggressive towards new additions (temporarily). My frag tank is 50 gallons but has a 24"x48" footprint so much more territory than a standard 50g.

It may work in your tank, but I would be ready to take him out and rehome him if he starts causing issues.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one for about.. 9 months or so and it has been extremely peaceful. It gets pushed around by non heavyweights like a bangaii cardinal, lyretail anthias, and the clowns. Oddly I've never seen halichoeres wrasses or an orchid dottyback bother him. I'd definitely get another in the future or try some of the other chrysiptera damsels. I don't mind fish that will stand up for themselves a bit, but not be total psychos. Also it was one of the first fish in my tank.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now have 1 with a common clownfish and a cleaner shrimp; very peaceful. No clue if it eats flatworms, tho

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny this thread pops up...I picked up 4 and they are schooling, it looks so cool. My maroon gold flake clown seems to be herding their little mini-school. My strawberry Dottyback is acting a little aggressive towards them but will see how they all behave in the morning under the lights.

sscg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its a bit late but i have pair and they are wonderful fish very peaceful.

Update I got a pair after a few weeks the bigger one killed my firefish and nipped royal gramma and clown gobies to death. I put it on a 10 gallon, the other one is very peaceful.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the exception of the aptly named blue devil, chrysiptera damsels aren’t generally aggressive if they have adequate space and food. They will all defend a territory, so if that territory exceeds the size of the tank you will have a problem, if it doesn’t and there’s room for the other fish you won’t have a problem.

FWIW, I have around 60 chrysiptera damsels in my tank.

Last edited:

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Springer’s are pretty awesome - have do a good job against flatworms as well.

I have azures myself - they are the most chill against other fish. The bicker a lot Among each other though

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tri in my 180 mixed reef. They are very docile... Nice and colorful fish.

Having said this.... make sure you get them from a source that you can trust. I have heard of two people who were sold blue damsils as Springers... and they destroyed everything. I got mine from a reliable source and they have been a great addition. Wished I had a few more as they are darting in an out of rockwork. With the other larger fish I have, they have remained small... and very active.

Great Fish!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back