Chrysophytes, AKA "Golden Algae" - How to identify, treat and remove it from your tank!

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes- they should dislodge easily. I personally would not add po4
As for Bacteria- Cyano itself is a bacteria-(Bacterial algae) which would all make sense. You can and will want to add 1.5ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons such as Microbacter XLM to compete with it/ Anything you blow loose, try to net it up and discard.
I've used m.b clean on it before with ok results, but lps suffered worse than the chrysophytes, ended up moving and tearing down the tank without ever fully beating it.

im not sure if it's one of those things that's in the tank already and shows itself during an imbalance or it is introduced into the system from contamination.(im leaning to it being introduced via silicates over dose/low nutrients becausethat was my problem at the time)

I do know its a tricky and difficult algae to control if nothing proactive is done. The Only reasonable thing about it, seems that corals don't mind it getting close.

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am dealing with this and have nitrates between 50-60 and phosphate at .20. I feed extremely heavy and recently started the AF Probiotic with the three stack of zeo, carbon and GFO about 3 weeks ago. So I have a very heavy dosing daily of specific bacteria that is supposed to battle the NO3 and PO4. I also carbon dose vinegar at 30ml on a 140 display, 170 gallon system. Great skimmer and rollermate. Any suggestions?

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any more people struggling with golden alage ? Iv been struggling with it for a year

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to update this thread. I tried everything to beat it, held steady higher Po4/No3 for a few months. I gave Brightwell's Razor a try and after the last dose, it's receded so much and the rocks are almost clear

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to update this thread. I tried everything to beat it, held steady higher Po4/No3 for a few months. I gave Brightwell's Razor a try and after the last dose, it's receded so much and the rocks are almost clear
You have sps clams and nems ? Any deaths

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have sps clams and nems ? Any deaths
I don't have any Nems or Clams, but I have SPS and tons of inverts. Nothing any different. My buddy has a nem that did this for GHA and no bad things happened. It's just a flocculant that uses some proprietary polymers.

I didn't do anything more than instructed.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave Brightwell's Razor a try and after the last dose, it's receded so much and the rocks are almost clear

It's just a flocculant that uses some proprietary polymers.
This is incomplete info from the manufacturer. It is a cationic polymer that behaves in chemical tests very similarly to other polyquats that kill algae such as Algaefix and Dino-X. The active ingredient is also dosed in similar amounts as those products as well.

I'm glad it works, and I'm not arguing that it's a bad choice. My point is that this result is more confirmation of the observations that algaefix and similar chemicals are effective against this nuisance. Not that it's doing something different or is a less harsh solution than those others.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is incomplete info from the manufacturer. It is a cationic polymer that behaves in chemical tests very similarly to other polyquats that kill algae such as Algaefix and Dino-X. The active ingredient is also dosed in similar amounts as those products as well.

I'm glad it works, and I'm not arguing that it's a bad choice. My point is that this result is more confirmation of the observations that algaefix and similar chemicals are effective against this nuisance. Not that it's doing something different or is a less harsh solution than those others.
They claim specifically on the bottle it’s not an Algaecide. I know there’s been misinformation with brands like Vibrant, so hopefully this isn’t the case as well.

If it truly has the same ingredients as an algaecide, what can us consumers do?

For the record, I am also skeptical as from what I’ve read, the GHA turns white.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They claim specifically on the bottle it’s not an Algaecide.
yep. And having looked at that product a decent amount, I do not know why they say that on the bottle. :thinking-face:

I agree more with this part of the instructions where they explicitly anticipate it affecting algae...

"Used as directed, it is safe for marine fishes, hard and soft corals, and other inverts, as well as most macro-algae, however, as all animals are individuals, and water conditions vary in many aquariums, animals should be observed closely during use, for signs of stress (corals closing and not re-opening, erratic behavior etc.). If signs of stress occur, or if macro-algae are affected negatively, reduce or discontinue use as necessary. If symptoms persist, do a partial water change and add carbon."

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back