Chrysophytes - Any predators for removal?

CaptainSupersonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have chrysophytes on one of my rocks. Is there a predator (pods, fish, bacteria, etc.) that will eat the chrysophytes? I have removed the rock and did a manual removal but they came back.

I did buy a laser. Should I laser the rock? I only have Zoa's and on leather on this particular rock.

Thanks in advanced.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have chrysophytes in my tank while it was new. I’m not sure what changed, but I don’t have a single cell left. It got really, really bad, but one day it just disappeared.

I did not use any chemicals, vibrant etc. I remember I was really tempted to. I really don’t know what shifted in my tank. I think something eventually just outcompeted it.

Chrysophytes (the ones that we get in reef tanks) do not use silica. Diatoms can be a powerful competitor for space, and herbivores love them. I might suggest dosing some silica and seeing if there is a positive change.

Do you have a microscope? How did you identify the chrysophyes?

OP
OP
CaptainSupersonic

CaptainSupersonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have chrysophytes in my tank while it was new. I’m not sure what changed, but I don’t have a single cell left. It got really, really bad, but one day it just disappeared.

I did not use any chemicals, vibrant etc. I remember I was really tempted to. I really don’t know what shifted in my tank. I think something eventually just outcompeted it.

Chrysophytes (the ones that we get in reef tanks) do not use silica. Diatoms can be a powerful competitor for space, and herbivores love them. I might suggest dosing some silica and seeing if there is a positive change.

Do you have a microscope? How did you identify the chrysophyes?
I do not have a microscope. One of the power users on r2r identified it from photos I posted.

I may just wait it out. I do not want to dose the tank. It is new-ish at 6mo but I stocked it from my old tank and do not want any more coral deaths.

I may end up taking it out again and hitting the rock with a laser. Trying to avoid this and hoping for a "natural" solution.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK that’s fine.

I think I’ve seen trochus snails eat chrysophytes in a QT test tank I had. You could try adding them and maybe some tuxedo urchins and seeing if it makes a difference. I wish you the best of luck. I remember how helpless I felt when I had the chrysophytes. It felt like I would have them forever, and there wasn’t any clear consensus online on how to beat them.

OP
OP
CaptainSupersonic

CaptainSupersonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK that’s fine.

I think I’ve seen trochus snails eat chrysophytes in a QT test tank I had. You could try adding them and maybe some tuxedo urchins and seeing if it makes a difference. I wish you the best of luck. I remember how helpless I felt when I had the chrysophytes. It felt like I would have them forever, and there wasn’t any clear consensus online on how to beat them.
It is incredibly frustrating. Especially as a new reefer.

Thank you for your advice. i will pick up the CUC additions suggested.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, why a new thread if you already had one and if a new thread why no pictures?

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume this is what you were referring too?

So, they grew back after scrubbing. Was it worse or not as bad as before scrubbing?

OP
OP
CaptainSupersonic

CaptainSupersonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is the laser supposed to do?

A little while ago a noticed a few aphasia in my DT. There was a local shortage of peppermint shrimp. I found this video

I ended up finding peppermint shrimp online but figured a laser would be a good thing to have to blast rocks if needed.

OP
OP
CaptainSupersonic

CaptainSupersonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And fwiw, I'd take the "power user"'s ID with a grain of salt. Much better to definitively identify the problem with a microscope or other test than to rely on someone's guess and then pursue the wrong treatment.

I will see if I can find someone local with a decent microscope.

OP
OP
CaptainSupersonic

CaptainSupersonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume this is what you were referring too?

So, they grew back after scrubbing. Was it worse or not as bad as before scrubbing?

Yes that was an earlier post to identify the issue.

They grew back about the same after scrubbing the rock. Maybe a little less but for the most part they have grown back. Seems to be disturbing a couple small zoa colonies.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Chrsophytes is labor work for removal. Take the rock out and place in large container with tank water.
Give the tank a good siphon and clean all filters and skimmer if you have one.
Scrub the rock with a firm toothbrush Or auto detail brush and 3% peroxide. Agitate to shake off particles and add cleaners such as Pitho crabs, chiton snails, ninja star snails and caribbean blue leg hermits to help with control and reduce white intensity a little and increase water flow. You likely have inadequate flow which allowed this to adhere to rock

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, best to keep the info in one thread.
I'm not sure it's chrysophytes. I'm not even sure it's photosynthetic...

Look at how evenly it grows on the shaded parts of this rock.
And look at the red circles, that looks like sponge texture/structure.
3893.jpg

OP
OP
CaptainSupersonic

CaptainSupersonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a four day blackout and it didn't touch it. I took the photos after I scrapped some off with my fingernail that is why there is some spots in the photo.

What do you think it is?

Next time I post on a new topic I will do one post.

Are you thinking this is a thin growing sponge?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, best to keep the info in one thread
I agree. I never saw the pictures because I only ever saw this thread. I assumed it was chrysos because he said it was.

Silica will grow sponge better. Definitely don’t dose that now lol.

OP
OP
CaptainSupersonic

CaptainSupersonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I never saw the pictures because I only ever saw this thread. I assumed it was chrysos because he said it was.

Silica will grow sponge better. Definitely don’t dose that now lol.
Not going to do anything until I figure this out. :)

Are you thinking this is a thin growing sponge?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back