Let the Chrysophyte battle begin

charliedarling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I now realize I’m dealing with what I believe to be Chrysophytes. I have a small 8 gallon nano I got second hand with a pair of clowns, which just came both bare rock. It’s been with me for about two months.

Everything looked super clean at first and I decided to stock some Macroalgae. All well and good, especially because phosphate was .15 and nitrates about 30.

I added a nano Kessil light and slowly ramped it up. The Macroalgae (especially dragons breath) grew like a week and colored up beautifully. After about 4-6 weeks I noticed them starting to get pale and the glass and surfaces covered in a weird film.

Being a newb I just thought eh maybe it’s just diatoms. I’ve been dealing with a big move and stress at work so although I was keeping up in my daily and weekly maintenance I wasn’t scraping the glass every day. Within 7 days the entire glass surface was coated in long strands of brownish stuff which I thought were just red algae. (Sort of struggling with pest identification).

I just got the tank moved to the new place this weekend and was able to deep clean everything. I tested my nitrates and phosphates (which had been trending down over the past 6 weeks) and realized they had both bottomed out to 0.0!

Then it hit me - this isn’t just nuisance algae. It’s got to be chrysophytes. I feel so stupid for not realizing it earlier. I definitely could have prevented it with dosing nitrates and keeping my light down.. but here we are. In the middle of the stress of moving and a lot of stress at work distracted me from how incredibly important it was to not let my levels bottom out. Oh well, I guess. I hope I didn’t just open the revolving pest door.

My plan is to leave the lights off, take the rock to the sink and scrub the hell out of it, and run some GFO for a minute while dosing neo nitro and neo phos to get those levels up.

My rock work isn’t epoxied or glued together and neither are my new corals - so I’ll have a chance to not only clean them but actually get them glued and stable so that I’m not struggling with rock work constantly falling over.

Anyways, that’s my newbie story. Will follow up with how this battle progresses. Little video below of how bad the glass got in literally only 7 days!

YouTube Link

Thanks,

Charlie

IMG_6938.jpeg

MTLReefNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey OP! Any updates on your situation? I have a similar issue and trying to figure out the best way to deal with it

OP
OP
C

charliedarling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey OP! Any updates on your situation? I have a similar issue and trying to figure out the best way to deal with it
Hi! I made an identification via microspoe and they ended up being diatoms!! I increased the number of copepods in the tank and switched salt brands, and reduced the volume of my water changes, and within about 2 weeks they are all gone! Green hair algae is overtaking the tank now but that’s a different story lol!

Anxur

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I made an identification via microspoe and they ended up being diatoms!! I increased the number of copepods in the tank and switched salt brands, and reduced the volume of my water changes, and within about 2 weeks they are all gone! Green hair algae is overtaking the tank now but that’s a different story lol!

Yours are like mine?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back